Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Offers - any insight?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancynan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Job Offers - any insight? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been offered a position at BLS (Busines Language Skills) to teach business English. I was also offered one at Transfer. (Both in Paris) I turned down Transfer for BLS and will sign the contract tomorrow morning. I felt positive when I met with them, but I thought a quick due diligence might be in order.
Has anyone any experience with this school? I would certainly apreciate any input.
By the way, Yes, I CHOOSE to work in a language school as this is my first teaching assignment and I need to get some experience.
Thank you for any help.

PS - Should I put this on the General Discssion forum as well?
bsjess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Hello fancynan,

First, I completely agree with you. Nothing replaces gaining teaching experience in a language school (especially here in Paris). There you will meet and work with fellow teachers, learn from their styles, share material, and hopefully gain essential team work experience. While I don't know BLS, I know Transfer is a rather large language school. You may discover you like the large school atmosphere, but I encourage you to also look into smaller schools (if you sign a CDD, this is highly recommended). I know of some wonderful larger schools, but as I have become more "independent" in my teaching style, I myself feel more at home in the smaller establishments.

If you sign a CDI, then you can also look into working as a "vacataire" in Paris' universities. These are part-time teaching jobs that pay better than language schools and also offer some pretty hard core experience. If you can juggle the two time tables then great! One step at a time, though.

And finally, as a new teacher I highly recommend joining TESOL France. The regulars on this forum know I like to plug this association, but only because I'm passionate about it and it has done so much for me and my teaching. You can meet English teachers from all over Paris and our events always give you something to use in your classes on Monday. Check out
www.tesol.fr
for our upcoming events.

Feel free to come by any time -- especially if you have more questions about teaching in Paris. Good luck!
fancynan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, bsjess. BLS is smaller than Transfer, which I do like. Plus - I have the old gut feeling going - I quite liked them. I do plan to join TESOL; another poster also recommeded them to me and I had been a member of the Colorado TESOL.
Great news about the vacataire - I had forgotten about that. Once I get my feet wet, I will look into that.
Thanks for the moral support. See you at TESOL France!
paris_1000

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fancynan wrote:
Thank you, bsjess. BLS is smaller than Transfer, which I do like. Plus - I have the old gut feeling going - I quite liked them. I do plan to join TESOL; another poster also recommeded them to me and I had been a member of the Colorado TESOL.
Great news about the vacataire - I had forgotten about that. Once I get my feet wet, I will look into that.
Thanks for the moral support. See you at TESOL France!

hi fancynan,

i see you were planning to sign a contract with bls. i'm considering doing the same and i was wondering if you could tell me how you like the experience so far. are you still working for them? how many hours have you been getting, and how flexible are they with scheduling?

thanks a bunch!
fancynan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replied to poster via email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: