Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambodia vs. South Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mere7908

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Cambodia vs. South Korea Reply with quote

I have previous work experience in South Korea and have been trying to go back there to teach again, but my previous director has been giving me an unfounded negative reference. So, I'm looking into teaching in other countries.

How do the benefits compare in Cambodia? Do schools pay the airfare and for the apartment and compensate high above the average cost of living? Do most schools require CELTA or TOEFL? I don't have either, but could I get a job in Cambodia without them?

I'd appreciate any knowledge and advice you can offer on this topic!

--Meredith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
moncur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just returned from a holiday in Cambodia. (he he he)

There are a lot of language schools in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. I don't know how much they hire foreigners. I highly doubt you get paid all that well either.
I think it's a country that you'd go to for the experience rather than the money. It's a great place, and perhaps you should schedule a holiday there and investigate jobs while traveling.

And I'm sure you have a negative reference from your old Korean boss simply because you left the job. It seemed to be a recurring pattern when I was there. Teacher leaves, badmouthing begins.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambodia. try it and see Cool Cool Laughing
verite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Some reality Reply with quote

Well to try to be more helpful than the glib sayings some are espoucing I will give some actual information.

NO, Khmers (the Cambodians) will not pay for airfare. Camboia is officially on many lists as the 8th poorest country in the World (the other 7 are in Africa; however, I doubt that anyone ever really looks at the reality of Burma as being very, very poor). Anyway, the normal person makes about 2 dollars US a day. So you would think that all of life is cheap there.

Well it is not. THe NGO people who are making money at Western rates drive up the prices (because the Khmers expect all barangs to pay the same rates). Food is much higher than Thailand. Rent is much higher than Thailand. They pay usually 10 dollars an hour for teachers. They will start you out at part time and the worst hours.

The night scene in PP is wholly missing a part that could be called normal. If you like to live 24/7 in a place where everyone is trying to get money from you and every girl is a prostitute then maybe you can hang there.

Going for a vacation among the sex tourists now kicked out of Thailand doesn't give you any idea what it is like to live there. I spent a year there and it is very mentally draining.

Be aware of what it is like before finding yourself there.
CdnInKorea

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You paint a pretty depressing picture, Verite: expensive food, expensive rent, bad hours, etc. Does working in Cambodia have any redeeming qualities, or would you advise against it completely?

Also: is Cambodia really poorer than North Korea? Shocked
Oneonta

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cambodia vs. South Korea Reply with quote

Mere7908 wrote:
I have previous work experience in South Korea and have been trying to go back there to teach again, but my previous director has been giving me an unfounded negative reference. So, I'm looking into teaching in other countries.

How do the benefits compare in Cambodia? Do schools pay the airfare and for the apartment and compensate high above the average cost of living? Do most schools require CELTA or TOEFL? I don't have either, but could I get a job in Cambodia without them?

I'd appreciate any knowledge and advice you can offer on this topic!

--Meredith

I taught in Korea also. Korea and Cambodia are very different in many ways, especially with work and teaching conditions.

How is this negative reference affecting you? How is it unfounded?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: