Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in a german uni vs language school: differences?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmjones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Working in a german uni vs language school: differences? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been applying to universities in German for TEFL work/Business english positions and have finally started to get some responses. It seems that the positions available are on a full time/permanent basis and therefore a lot more appealing than language school/freelance work, to me at least, as I intend to be moving permanently.

Does anyone have any advice on qualities/experience that German universities lok for in a teacher which is different to that which language schools look for. From my experience language schools look for someone who is basically willing to work any hour day or night, however if anyone could give me any serious tips I'd be very grateful.

Thank you!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, a relevant MA is considered a useful qualification for university positions! It's rare to get a uni position without significant experience and (usually) post grad degrees in closely related fields.
Obviously, if you're getting responses your quals must be acceptable, whatever they are.

In any case, university work is different in many respects from private language schools. The hours are generally much more 'normal,' from 8.00 am to 18.00 max, usually, though unis sometimes also do business contracts which may be outside of hours and outside of the university facilities. You'll find that most classes are likely conducted in regular classrooms and travel time will be much less than in private schools.

In my experience, there is usually much stronger support in a uni setting, and your work colleagues are likely to be highly experienced -this can be both good and bad, depending on whether they've fossilized into rote patterns or are working together as a team to innovate and update their curriculum on a fairly regular basis.
chuckd74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Ger Unis Reply with quote

so, what are the numbers for Ger Unis?

Comparing with Korea

so, i have the MA and 12+ years in 7 diffenrt countries, then what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: