Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in Syria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alrooj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Teaching English in Syria Reply with quote

Hello. I am new to this site and to the world of ESL. I am planning to go to Syria for two to three months this summer and wanted to find an opportunity to teach English. I have tutoring experience and am fluent in both English and Arabic. I have a phone interview with a Berlitz rep this weekend, but wanted to know what other options there might be in case this doesn't work out. thanks
mandalayroad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlitz is pretty notorious for low pay... and Syria is reputed to be tough with renewing visas and paperwork. It's a shame because I'd be interested in working there for a while too...
basiltherat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there for around 5 years and left, for the last time, last November so much of below is still pretty reliable and up to date.
You could also try ALC, the British Council and New Horizons. PM me if you want contact details of ALC and New Horizons. They won't fly you in or out (which, by what you say, you don't need) nor provide accommodation (except the council ... maybe). Both ALC and New Horizons appear cool places to work. Pay is generally enough to live on but not really enough to save anything if that's your aim. All teachers get on well and there's very little stress as long as you know what you're doing in the classroom. Damascus is really nice. Recommend it !
basil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: