Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Brazil
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abondanza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Teaching in Brazil Reply with quote

I am planning to move to Brazil to teach English at the end of the year. I will be going to Sao Paulo. I am currently teaching English in a Language school in the U.S. I have a BA in Literature and Writing, but I do not have a Tesl or Tefl certificate. Would that make it difficult to find a job? I was hoping to get some tips from someone who has worked in the country as an English teacher. Sao Paulo is filled with English schools, and I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips?

Thank you.
Very Happy
dove

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I am an American living in Sao Paulo with my Brazilian partner. I have been here for a week. I don't have much advice because I am still new myself, but at least let me tell you my impressions. I have found one job so far, through a company that sends instructors to teach at various businesses in Sao Paulo. They are only going to give me one class at first, at a bank. I have also been sending my resume to private language schools, but so far, I haven't heard back from them. I think the way I am going to survive here is private lessons. I am just waiting for my business cards to be printed. I am lucky because I can teach in my apartment, and my partner, who is fluent in English, is going to team-teach with me.

I find Sao Paulo to be extremely expensive in some ways. But I try to remember that this IS the 3rd biggest metropolis in the world. Food at the supermarket is more expensive in the USA.... the USA always seems to have things on sale and you can clip coupons. It's not like that here. I really need to search for cheap supermarkets and street markets. Anything imported is super expensive. For example, books and magazines. I was living in Japan and those things are cheaper in Tokyo! Also expensive are computers and other electronics. Brazil is NOT the place to buy those kind of things. Toiletries are also expensive here....stock up before you come.

The rent for my apartment seems to be cheaper than in the USA or in Japan. I live in a really good location (Jardins) and I pay the equivalent of about $350. My Brazilian partner found the apartment; I am not sure if I could have found it by myself. Utilities also are a bit cheaper than in the USA.

Getting around the city is a hassle because Sao Paulo sprawls!! And it's not really cheap for a metro ticket--about $1.50. That's one of the reasons I really want to teach privates in my apartment.

About credentials--I think it is good to have a TESL certificate, but not 100% necessary. But I really am not sure.

I hope this helped. In short, I think it is going to be tough to live in Sao Paulo, but for me, it is worth it. You can pm me if you have any questions.
All my best,
Dove
Portuguese Classes in Rio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Rio de Janeiro Reply with quote

Hi Abondanza,

my name is Karina Marques de Sousa and I am carioca (from Rio de Janeiro).
However, I have been teaching English and Portuguese for foreigners also in
S�o Paulo.

Contact me and I will try to answer specific questions:
http://aulas.de/portugues Arrow
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dove wrote:
I find Sao Paulo to be extremely expensive in some ways. But I try to remember that this IS the 3rd biggest metropolis in the world. Food at the supermarket is more expensive in the USA.... the USA always seems to have things on sale and you can clip coupons. It's not like that here. I really need to search for cheap supermarkets and street markets. Anything imported is super expensive. For example, books and magazines. I was living in Japan and those things are cheaper in Tokyo! Also expensive are computers and other electronics. Brazil is NOT the place to buy those kind of things. Toiletries are also expensive here....stock up before you come.

The rent for my apartment seems to be cheaper than in the USA or in Japan. I live in a really good location (Jardins) and I pay the equivalent of about $350. My Brazilian partner found the apartment; I am not sure if I could have found it by myself. Utilities also are a bit cheaper than in the USA.

Getting around the city is a hassle because Sao Paulo sprawls!! And it's not really cheap for a metro ticket--about $1.50. That's one of the reasons I really want to teach privates in my apartment.

I can feel you on this one! I use to live in PINHERIOS right next to JARDINS. Plus I gotta say Jardins is a great area to live in Sao Paulo. Centrally located and really safe with a lot of nightlife, perfect. Is Lone Star Bar or Finnegans still there in Jardins?

Everything else I agree with you 100%. When I lived there, I was spending a ton of money on subway fares and having to eat lunch while running around teaching English everywhere. I was making 15 reals an hour (but often had to travel an hour or so one-way to get to those teaching locations), but subway costs and with all the travel, I often ate out where I was, which wasn't cheap, and suddenly cutting my earnings in half almost just trying to get to them and such.
rayjazz21

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much can one expect to earn in Brazil if he is a native English speaker with credentials?
johnnymo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys...

I have a school in Campinas, Sao Paulo.
Next year i will be looking for native speakers.
Salary is around $2,000 reias a month.
Anyone interested drop me a line.....good school....and i'm Scottish
No hidden agenda....which makes life easier here.

Cheers
J.
slimofmst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to fly down to Brazil in June when my teaching contract here in the states expires. I've read that the time leading up to Carnival is a wash in terms of finding work.
drew.glaser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnymo - Please contact me about your school. [email protected]. I sent you some more info about me in a PM.

Thanks,
Drew
jammasterflex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply to Johnnymo Reply with quote

Hi Johnnymo,

I am a 27 year old Scot - currently teaching English in Germany.

Id like to send you my details if possible. Please contact me at [email protected]

Cheers,

Jamie
stonewall012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: johnnymo Reply with quote

Johnnymo,
If you at still looking for teachers for your school please let me know. I am from the US and live in Sao Paulo. I have my work book, so I can work in Brazil. My email address is [email protected]
feedpony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone here from JohnnyMo about that school? If so, i'd certainly be interested. My email is [email protected], and i'm moving to Brazil in the a month or so. Feel free to suggest whatever guys, thanks!

Steven, Newcastle Upon Tyne
manamaorigirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Hi Johnymo Reply with quote

I'm also interested in your school in Sao Paulo
I have taught ESL for 4 years in class (Japan, Sth Korea and Thailand)
and 1 year online. I have CELTA. I also have a year old son
Any advice from anybody about living with kids in Brazil would be greatly appreciated (childcare etc)
feedpony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did anyone here from JohnnyMo about that school"

I love my terrible English here...i blame my tieping skills Wink
jduncanmiller

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnymo, I am interested in hearing about your school. I haven't posted enought to PM. Could you PM me please. Thanks Jan
kiai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: johnny mo Reply with quote

if you are still around please contact me [email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: