Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Ford Taurus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titanicman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Used Ford Taurus Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a 1995 Ford Taurus for SR 14,000. It looks to be in good condition. Is this reasonable? What might the resale value be for this car in 3-5 years time?

Thanks. Titanicman

Last edited by titanicman on Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Driving in Riyadh Reply with quote

Lots of used car salesmen in Riyadh ! Be careful !

Driving in Riyadh would scare the ***** out of me !
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy it! Old Fords are disaster in Saudi; a mate of mine bought one for SR9000 spent about SR12000 more on it, and left it by the side of the motorway after two months when it burst into flames on the way back from Khobar. Another mate of mine ignored my advice and bought it for SR2000 and then lost three times that trying to repair it before he left it by the side of the road.

There were serious problems with the transmission overheating; and this was in hundreds of cases.

Second hand good American cars (nearly always GMs) are overpriced because they are what the Saudi likes. Until a few years back you never saw a Saudi in a Japanese car.
MacMahon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota are the ones with the most dealers scattered about it seems and come with cheap parts too! Whatever car you do buy get the seller to meet you at a garage and put 50-100sr down to have it checked over.
Pref. not a local garage as they might be friends?!?

If it's a dealer get some tight paperwork on warranties and before signing, perform a backflip and smash 2 bricks with your head, i'm sure they won't play about thereafter.

GMC's or "Jimsis" have a good name here and you see enough old battle horses chugging about to see why. Fords are a waste of time. I was offered a Taurus estate by a Saudi neighbour but when I became familiar with his father he withdrew the offer saying it was a heap of ####.
I said erm... I figured that from the off.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: spares Reply with quote

Someone I knowin Eastern province has a Ford Taurus. He recently had to wait ONE MONTH for a spare part.

Do yourself a favour and get a car made in Nippon. They have an extensive spares network here.
titanicman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: I bought it -- No problems yet Reply with quote

I bought it -- no problems yet! I put down that SR 14,000 for a 1995 Ford Taurus. The pick up is slow but I never seem to drive that fast anyway in the city.

I've been driving for about a month and haven't had any break-downs. The radio signal from the US Army station is weak.
How can we improve the reception?

Thanks. Titanicman
Orange U?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I can think of to improve reception would be to sell the Ford and buy an old GMC Blazer. Better yet, buy an old GMC Blazer and then sell the Ford (at leisure). Then shop around for a new receiver to get the better reception in the GMC.

You'll spend more on fuel, but won't have to put up with people threatening you in traffic with their cars. Driving an old Blazer here in the kingdom, I find folks give me a fairly wide berth.

Of course, AC will be a problem with both the Blazer and the Ford: their cooling is under-engineered for the Saudi climate.

Safe driving!

Orange U?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: