Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Bogota with some MORE questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mononoaware

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Coming to Bogota with some MORE questions Reply with quote

Thank you so much to everyone on this forum who generously share their advice and experience. I've just spent the past few hours copying, pasting and printing useful tips that I'm sure will act as a bible to me my first few weeks in Bogota.

So!

I'm arriving April 16th all on my own. I've just spent the past three years in Asia. (Japan one year, Vietnam the past two), and I've gotten used to a pretty cushy lifestyle there. Good jobs, good money, got by with English most of the time... I'm hoping for a different kind of adventure in Colombia, and I don't expect it to be easy. (I see I'm not the first to relocate from VN to Colombia, and I hope I'll have better luck than some.) Sad

I've gotten so many useful tips from this forum, but I actually have a few questions that I haven't found answers to. So here goes:

1. Before I even jump into the job hunt, I'd like to start out my first month or six weeks by taking an intensive Spanish course. Right now I'm not a complete beginner, but I'm pretty elementary. I've found a couple schools advertized online, but I figure if those schools can afford flashy websites, maybe there are smaller/cheaper schools out there too. Any recommendations? Anybody out there do Spanish/English language exchanges that work for them? Where might I go about advertizing something like that?

2. I've gathered that the climate is pretty comfortable and mild. I'm used to really hot and humid (in Saigon), so I've almost kind of forgotten what comfortable and mild is like. Do you usually wear long or short sleeves? Light jackets? I like to dress well for work--heels, etc. What fabrics do you find are the most comfortable/fashionable there? (I'm female, and obviously kind of girly to be askin' 'bout fabrics.)

3. I'm pretty social, so ideally I'd like to find housemates. Any good tips on how to go about finding some? Any good tips on which neighborhoods are comfortable to live in? (I realize that's a pretty broad question, but I guess I'm most concerned about which neighborhoods to avoid.)

4. Along with the social thing, any good spots that I should check out? Bars/restaurants/places to salsa?

5. Any good hostel you'd recommend for my first few weeks?

6. Do many people ride bicycles around town? Is it safe? Convenient? (I'm really used to all the motorbikes of Saigon.)

7. Do you know of many expats doing things other than teaching? I really love teaching, but I really hope I can stretch myself in some other way while I'm there. I had friends in Saigon writing, copy-editing, doing voice-overs and acting work on TV, doing advertizing work, finance, etc., etc. My background is in marketing and teaching (of course). Any idea of places I could go to be in contact with other expats in and out of teaching? Chamber of commerce, etc.?

(Just have to note that I plan to improve my Spanish and want to get to know other Colombians, of course, but while my Spanish is still crappy, I hope to explore as many opportunities as possible.)

OKAY! I think that's enough questions for one day (and for one thread, whew!) Again, I've found this forum sooo useful, so thank you so much! Any advice you can give about any of my many questions would be very much appreciated! If not, I'll try to update with answers when I find them!

If anybody in Bogota would like to meet up for a coffee/drink in April, pm me. I always like making new friends.
lozwich

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming to Bogota with some MORE questions Reply with quote

mononoaware wrote:
1. Before I even jump into the job hunt, I'd like to start out my first month or six weeks by taking an intensive Spanish course.

I've not studied Spanish here, but I've heard good things about Universidad Externado's programme. http://www.uexternado.edu.co/cepex/english/index.html They also have English teaching departments for the university students so you might be able to work out something for work too. I think International House also has Spanish lessons, but I don't know if this is permanent or only when they're running their Spanish teaching course and look for students for the trainee teachers to practise on.

mononoaware wrote:
2. I've gathered that the climate is pretty comfortable and mild.

I'm sitting here wearing cotton trousers and a t-shirt just now, with all the windows open. I don't know if I'm a bit ill just now, but I've found the last few weeks quite warm during the day (like about 22). Its nothing like being in the tropics here, and you can wear pretty much whatever you want, but will need to change clothes throughout the day to keep warm when it rains or gets dark. Wear whatever fabrics you want. Some people seem to love bright orange polyester suits, but cotton is the only thing I ever wear, regardless of where in the world I am.

Questions 3 + 4, answers to those totally depend on you, your likes and what you term comfortable. I'd recommend Chapinero for a good middle ground, although its too gritty and urban for me. I need to see trees, and pay extra for the privilege.

mononoaware wrote:
5. Any good hostel you'd recommend for my first few weeks?

Haven't stayed there, don't know anything about it, but I hear Platypus in the Candelaria is the place to stay.

mononoaware wrote:
6. Do many people ride bicycles around town? Is it safe? Convenient? (I'm really used to all the motorbikes of Saigon.)

There are bike paths all over the city and on Sundays a lot of major roads are closed to cars so cyclists can get out and about. I wouldn't ride my bike during the week, because the streets are too crowded for me, but lots of people do it.

If you're into meeting expats, try the Poor But Happy website. They have regular events in Bogota. Again, never been, have enough expats in my life just now, and am keener to meet more locals.

Good luck.
Lozwich.
mononoaware

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozwich,

Thanks so much for your thorough response. It is such a big help and reassurance to me! It's a great idea to do a Spanish course at the university, because I may be able to gather some inside information on the English department that way. I've sent an email, and hope they'll have a course to fit my schedule/arrive time...

Platypus--maybe not a bad place to spend a week. Thanks for that.

You mentioned that you're more keen to meet locals. Have you found any good places to meet people? Do you salsa? Any particularly good places for that?

Anyway, thanks again for all your help--it makes my day!
travelgoddess

Location: on vacation in Chiang Mai, Thailand until next contract starts (updated Jan 2010)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Platypus is a good place to start. Also, if you want to live in a house with about 5-6 other foreigners for the first few months pm me and I will give you a contact in Chapinero. Fantastic neighborhood and nice bunch of folks.

Steph
Billoncho

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Studying Spanish Reply with quote

I studied at High Technology in Learning, Los Andes University, Universidad Nacional and the Javeriana Unversity. The best program by far was the Javeriana's program. Second was the Universidad Nacional's.

Try Aguapanellas on calle 100 for a great place to party.

If you want to be near the schools try to find a place in Chapinero above or only slightly below the autopista/avenida Jimeniz. If you want something a little safer go to Cedritos but you'll have to catch the bus or the transmelleno.

If you live in Chapinero you'll be in the U district and there's tons of clubs for whatever music you like. If you want more upscale go to Parque 93 and the park is surrounded by clubs.

If you want to make language exchanges. The Javeriana University is an open campus. Go to one of the outside cafes and drink some coffee and students will come up to you looking for lessons. You can arrange an exchange or pick up some cash.

Good Luck, you'll love it there. Just be careful about being robbed. Never take a taxi from the street or you'll learn about the millionaires tour first hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: