Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New York City Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BocaNY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I wanted to know what's the going rate for teaching English in NYC at one of the language schools?
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Language Schools = $12-25 (Usually $16-22)
Non-profits and universities = $30-$65

The lowest that I know of is BlueData, which pays as little as $12/hour. They are often looking. In general, private language schools pay $16-20. ELS pays $20 with a masters and $18 without. LSI pays $18; $19 with a masters. You might make a little more at St. Giles.

I know of a few universities and community colleges that pay $65+ per hour, with some paid prep. Aside from salaried positions, this is pretty much the ceiling. You'll need a masters in TESOL/AL for these jobs, or be currently enrolled in the program with a reputable cert.

Good luck!
burial10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. I'm moving to New York at the end of this month, and I have a few questions.

I taught middle school English this past year, and my class had many ELLs that required accommodation, but that's my only ESL teaching experience. Do you think I'd be able to find work with a only B.A. and the CELTA? My out-of-state teaching certificate isn't reciprocated in NYS, so my only option is to teach adults at this point in time.

Also, I'm planning on applying to CUNY to do an M.A. in K-12 TESOL. Do you think my limited experience would stop me from getting accepted?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burial10 wrote:
I taught middle school English this past year, and my class had many ELLs that required accommodation, but that's my only ESL teaching experience. Do you think I'd be able to find work with a only B.A. and the CELTA? My out-of-state teaching certificate isn't reciprocated in NYS, so my only option is to teach adults at this point in time.

You'd have to look at the job market for entry-level ESL teachers in the area. You don't have the qualifications to teach at the university level, so your only option is to look at vacancies in language schools and community literacy programs. Try craigslist for openings. You can also contact each language school individually for work. Unfortunately, you'd be new to the area and therefore, wouldn't have any connections via networking. NYSTESOL is the state's TESOL affiliate and offers you the opportunity to network and stay informed about events and workshops, plus, they likely have a job board. Ditto for the state's employment office.

Quote:
Also, I'm planning on applying to CUNY to do an M.A. in K-12 TESOL. Do you think my limited experience would stop me from getting accepted?

That's really a question you need to pose to the admissions counselor at CUNY. Their job is to provide guidance to prospective students.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might qualify to teach at a private K-12 school since these schools don't require public school certification. You may or may not find work as an ESL teacher, however. If this route appeals to you, you could do substitute teaching for private schools until a position opens. I have heard that private schools have pretty long working hours...
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scintillatestar wrote:
Language Schools = $12-25 (Usually $16-22)
Non-profits and universities = $30-$65

The lowest that I know of is BlueData, which pays as little as $12/hour. They are often looking. In general, private language schools pay $16-20. ELS pays $20 with a masters and $18 without. LSI pays $18; $19 with a masters. You might make a little more at St. Giles.

I know of a few universities and community colleges that pay $65+ per hour, with some paid prep. Aside from salaried positions, this is pretty much the ceiling. You'll need a masters in TESOL/AL for these jobs, or be currently enrolled in the program with a reputable cert.

Good luck!

Just an update: ELS centers in NY pay more than $20/hour with a masters. Most starting teachers make more than that without a masters in ELS centers.
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have gone up. I subbed at ELS in 2010.

NYU is now over $70/hour. Their adjuncts are unionized, so it goes up by a few dollars every year. Certain 3 hour classes get an extra 45 min for prep, which works out to about $86/hour. Not bad.

Columbia might pay returning faculty $70-$75.

I've also heard that The New School and LaGuardia pay around that much.

Nevertheless, if you go to www.nystesol.org and look at the jobs board, you'll still see plenty of stuff that pays $15-20/hour.
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: M.A. Reply with quote

Also, anyone with an MA in TESOL and a few years of teaching and/or materials writing experience can find additional opportunities.

Full-time Positions: Editor, Test Developer, Language Center/University Administrator

Per Diem: Item Writing, Test rating, materials/textbook authoring
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: