Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing family to NWT when teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Bringing family to NWT when teaching Reply with quote

Has any public school teachers brought their family (wife & kids) to NWT when getting a job there? What kind of school did their kids end up in (or was home-schooling the best option)? How was is it for the wife?

BDB
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in NWT but I have a few friends there, all originally from BC and got contracts after they received their BEds. Are you talking about Yellowknife - or one of the more remote communities (non-Yellowknife)?

To be honest, life is quite difficult for families outside Yellowknife. If you are going to one of the smaller communities (particularly the air-accessible ones), you will always stand out as the teacher's wife - the cop's wife - the community token government worker's wife (and child). I don't recommend it long-term for family sanity, and everyone I know has done a 1-3 year stint and been back.

I would not raise my children outside Yellowknife - we actually were offered a placement as my husband is also an RCMP officer so the careers work well together. I'm in rural Quebec and it's a bit easier to deal with, but similar issues apply.

I would go, but with a plan B in mind for when ready to return.

For teaching, it can be quite hard. A girlfriend of mine had a class of 20 (all the students in the village) and over half of them had FAS. K-12 with 50% FAS. It's a challenge. Rewarding, but a challenge.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only salute you who are willing to do stints in such places. I've been to Yellowknife. Briefly.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I can only salute you who are willing to do stints in such places. I've been to Yellowknife. Briefly.

My girlfriend with the 50% FAS school was 500km west of Yellowknife and only accessible by plane. I have no idea how she survived. Wages are a premium for sure, but not sure it was worth it. She was single, can't imagine having my family there - but you aren't chained to it and worst case scenario, finish the year and move on.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Northern Lights is the big highlight.
If you want to teach in Canada, not sure what else is available, besides elementary school.
Maybe in Alberta.

I heard of an Australian who got a job up there since he was an architect.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Child's study Reply with quote

If a family lives in a northern Canada community (in NWT but not Yellowknife), where would my child go and study? In the school where I am teaching? I want to teach in the elementary school in Canada.

BDB
smurfetta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Northern Alberta? you could try to find a teaching job in places like Fort McMurray or Grande Prairie. Your child could go to school there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: