Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biggest Jerk of a Student

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jestert79

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Biggest Jerk of a Student Reply with quote

Another random question - who's the biggest jerk of a student you've ever had? (Adult classes only - with kids or teens it's too easy.)

I bring it up because I just covered an Elementary class, first lesson, and I encountered probably the most unpleasant student I've ever taught in my life. He sat there from the beginning with a scowl on his face, rolling his eyes at me as I was teaching (These were ADULTS, in their 20s/30s). He refused to work with anyone. At one point he tried asking me something with quite bad pronunciation - he asked how old I was, and if I work in an office also. Later, when I was teaching pronunciation of countries, he suddenly got up and hijacked my whiteboard as I watched in horror, erasing some things that I had written. The poor guy that was supposed to work with him in an activity said "Excuse me, teacher, can I work with you, because he doesn't like learning here."

In hindsight I could have dealt with it better, but I was taken off guard by how negative this guy was.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try teaching a whole class of jerks! In the United Arab Emirates at a Technical Highschool( ages ranged from 17 to 25) I had the lovely experience of teaching a class of approx. 30 students per class and would say over 70% of them were jerks...although harmless, they still behaved like jerks with no regard for learning or how to behave in a classroom. On the positive side I did learn alot about classroom management! Surprised
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several postings have been deleted for being inappropriate. If they continue, there will be sanctions and the thread will no longer be available.

The thread is locked to permit everyone to review this warning.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: