Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Bilingual School
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buttermilky

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: American Bilingual School Reply with quote

Hello everyone in Cyberland. Does anyone have any info: bad or good on this outfit, American Bilingual School? Hey what's the capital of Cyberland? Siberia?
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: abs Reply with quote

turn over of teachers very high
pm me and i'll tell you why
tidbits include
they have contracts where they go against kuwait labor law saying so you can only have a few sick days or you pay (totally against the labor law) and thaT FEMALE TEACHERS CAN'T BECOME PREGNANT
sorry for the caps
no one has taken them to court because big wigs own the joint - avoid the place
spiker25

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: American Bilingual School Reply with quote

Warning: I applied to this school and went online to research them. Then I went through the phone interview and asked them specific questions to see if they would be consistent based on what I read on their website. They were not only completely inconsistent with what's on their website, but when they offered me the position, the contract was also inconsistent with both what they said on the phone and the info on their website!

Basically, they have shown that they can't be trusted. Don't waste your time! It's not worth going halfway around the world when you can't trust them!!! And they insisted on a 2 year contract. They said on the phone that I could only have my accommodation paid for if I signed a 2 year contract. Then, I got the job offer and it said that my accommodation is taken out of my pay every month for a little over the first year of the contract. Also, they told me that half of my first month's salary would be taken away as a security deposit. So, I have to pay them to work for them? I don't think so!!!

So, word to the wise: WATCH OUT FOR THESE PEOPLE!!!
miski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiker- yes ABS is not really one of the 'up there' schools.

It is quite common here for teachers to have to pay a suppl. if they want unshared accom. however.

As for the ''deposit''- that is their take should you decide to do a runner;it will cover their costs for the residency! It is not legal and I do know of one teacher working at KNES ( Kwik and Nasty Exit School) who did not have his ''deposit'' of 200KD returned when he handed in the legal notice and left.

Re standards at the school- they accepted two students with learning difficulties from my last school straight into their mainstream classes without question. The girls 'are doing very well'- which either means
a) the school has a super special needs dept ( doubt it)
or
b) the school is completely ignoring their special needs and passing them ( believe it)

Good choice to avoid them.
Visit tes.co.uk for jobs available this week- don't worry if you are American as UK curric schools will still employ you.

Good luck.
debbers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: American Bilingual School Reply with quote

Hi there!

I have just been given an offer of employment with ABS as well. I'm wondering if anyone else has any (further) negative opinions of this school, or alternately, if there are any positive opinions out there?

I've got a Masters degree in History, but just an Oxford TESL Cert. and I like this offer because I would get to teach Humanities, rather than ESL (more up my alley). This is one of the few 'bites' that I've had on this site, and so I am tempted to take it.

Any suggestions would be really great.
miski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take it= you'll probably end up teaching local Social Studies anyway....................
Christaintheworld

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was just offered a position as a Drama teacher at the ABS in Kuwait, I would be teaching the girls not the boys. Is it really as bad as everyone says? I've been doing some research and haven't read one good thing about it, but I 'm really scared I won't find anything else...
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the economy is bad, IT MAY BE THE ONLY JOB offer you get - but you should still have standards
bengt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: my experience with abs Reply with quote

AVOID.

PM me for info.

Last edited by bengt on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
rowntree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they make you work weekends too?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: my experience with abs Reply with quote

bengt wrote:

PROS:

- money is good, supposing you get the full amount without incurring penalties or "residency fees" -- but you need to ask yourself at what cost.

710 KD a month plus 100KD for housing doesn't seem to be good money to me for a Certified teacher with a bit of experience. A contract in the UAE with the new re-vamping of the educational system there could pay double that, give you a nice flat, and over appr US$5000 to furnish it. And, living conditions are better.

VS
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would wager a sizable percentage if not most of ABS teachers are not certified
bengt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: my experience with abs Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

710 KD a month plus 100KD for housing doesn't seem to be good money to me for a Certified teacher with a bit of experience. A contract in the UAE with the new re-vamping of the educational system there could pay double that, give you a nice flat, and over appr US$5000 to furnish it. And, living conditions are better.

VS

!!! blame it on inexperience. you've got to introduce me to your contacts.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the information in the ads being run on the International Jobs link here and then read what was said on the particular branches. Public knowledge... Cool

Search Teachaway - recruiter for ADEC... on the UAE branch.

I don't know if they will be recruiting for 2nd semester.

VS
Dasani122

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have any current info on ABS? All of the info here seems to be a little dated. I was offered a job the other day and want to make an educated decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: