Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canterbury TEFL - should I ? Help please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham Edwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Canterbury TEFL - should I ? Help please Reply with quote

[list=]

Hola !

I have applied to Canterbury in Madrid to do a TEFL course. The main reason I chose them was the amount of practice teaching, twenty hours of which are paid. There is also the guaranteed teaching hours. The course starts on the 29th of this month and I have to let them know very soon whether I want to accept their offer of a place. Have I made a good choice of TEFL provider? I am concerned that the one person I spoke to there seemed a bit �pushy�.

A bit of basic information about myself � I am a 49 year old Brit looking for a change of career. I was a computer analyst/programmer but things have moved on and I have been out of work for some time. I have to reinvent myself. I am in Spain, I like it here, I speak English and I need work. Something satisfying would be ideal and I believe it could be teaching perhaps older children or adults in a business environment.

I understand that recruitment for the next academic year starts mid September so I will be in the right place to take advantage of this. I feel that this is the best time to do the course because any other time of year there is much less chance of finding work. I realise that I have left things to the last moment here but I have some fundamental concerns that i need to address before I pay the course fee deposit.

Am I the right person for this, do I have what it takes, will I enjoy teaching? I am not sure if I am outgoing enough and I am not particularly keen on teaching children. The thought of having to play games with them fills me with dread. I can�t expect someone who has never met me to answer this question but how do I know if I am making the right choice here or do I just take the chance?

I have worked in Germany, Holland and Belgium for a few years in my �previous career� and have been living in Spain for some time so I have no problems with being away from home and adjusting to new cultures. However I am a linguistic invalid and lack the confidence to learn new languages. I can do the basics (very basic). I will have to learn Spanish but I would prefer to do this once I have �got my feet under the table� so to speak, rather than having to do this whilst undertaking the intensive TEFL and looking for my first teaching jobs.

I will have to sort the accommodation angle but I�m not really worried about that at the moment.

Any advice really, really appreciated.

Kind regards, Graham

[/list]
Graham Edwards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice really appreciated, anyone please ? Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=91055
Graham Edwards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Spiral. Thought i'd try to get some response from members in Spain.
Yesterday was a national holiday so everyones getting over the weekend.
Smile
mozzar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, how much do they pay per hour? Are you expected to stay the entire academic year? Realistically speaking, with your age and previous experience you could get a job working for a company that does business classes without some TEFL cert from Canterbury - and be paid �15 an hour for it. That said, a TEFL cert does make you a better teacher which is good for the students.

If you were to get the TEFL cert from Canterbury then I'd look at doing the CELTA in September 2012 as it will be widely regarded as a better cert. It's �1500 but after a year in Spain you should easily be able to afford it. Despite what people may say, you can earn and save money in Spain. It's no Korea and you may have to work harder for it, but it's there.

Also, take a Spanish course. I wish I had when I first arrived as I'm only now catching up to where I should have been a year ago.
Graham Edwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mozzar that really is encouraging.

Canterbury are offering �14 Euro/hr for teaching but I should look into the detail i.e find out if there is an agreement I have to sign binding me to anything worrying.

Yes I have to do the TEFL. I wouldn't have the confidence to teach without it. The CELTA is interesting and the Spanish course is probably essential.

As you are based in Madrid I might like to ask what areas should I be looking to live ?
mm1978

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: efl Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

I took the course about 7 years ago, it's a good course but what you have to remember is that the qualification is not internationally recognized. I've had a few problems because of this over the years.

As for actually working with the school, I would give it a miss.

Better places and better paid jobs out there in Madrid.

lingobongo.com
madridteacher.com
loquo.com

Have fun in Madrid, I originally came for 2 months and I am just about to start my 7 year!

If you need any help just ask.
nadamasqueso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Loquo advert Reply with quote

Hi Graham,
I wasn't sure if you got my email in reply to your search for a room-often there are "EMAIL ADDRESS ISSUES" or you might have accidentally published it wrongly.Mine was the one in El Carmen with [email protected] as contact address,
Thanks,
Malcolm
rkent123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Canterbury TEFL Reply with quote

Hello Graham,

I'm curious as to whether you decided to go with the TEFL course at Canterbury? If so, it would be great to get some feedback. I'm seriously considering taking the course in either April or August 2012. I've searched the Internet for reviews of the course, but haven't had much luck..other than the testimonials on the Canterbury website.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!! My email address is [email protected] if you prefer to respond there.

Thanks!!

Ryan
nadamasqueso

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time-he's a rude fucker;I offered him a room but he didn't have the decency even to reply.
RobertinOman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Canterbury Reply with quote

The Canterbury website is very informative. The feedback from graduates is accurate. They are very helpful regarding what you need to know and do in order to prosper in Madrid. Their accreditation is from a very respected UK institution.
pr455

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

It doesn't really matter what the Canterbury site says, one has to remember that a TEFL certificate is NOT recognized internationally. For example, in the Middle East, a CELTA, DELTLA or RSA certificate is required. In the USA, an MA in TESOL is required.

Shawn
jovencito

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the Certificate in TESOL or Advanced Certificate in TESOL?

The Certificate in TESOL isn't British Council compliant because it does not certify the teaching practice.
The Advanced Certificate in TESOL is allegedly British Council compliant.

Apart from their own certificate, the Canterbury site doesn't mention what accredited certificate you get.
rob01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the course in 2008. Since then I have been teaching in Spain and Mexico. The course itself is excellent; it is well structured, designed and delivered. The school is a good start is you are new to Madrid, but as somebody has already said they`re are much better teaching gigs out there.. but Canterbury is a good starting point, the classes are easy and all the support is there, but once you get a handle on the city you will find yourself branching out to more well paid options.

The thing with the Canterbury certificate is that it is not a CELTA or Trinity TESOL, and I have found that this has restricted my UK teaching options, basically because nobody has heard of the accreditation that it does have... see;

The accreditation; www.collegeofteachers.ac.uk
The course; http://www.collegeofteachers.ac.uk/accreditation/associateship-tesol

It is mentioned on the web site; this accreditation is a fairly recent thing (within the last few years), however it is a real and legit TESOL awarding body, but it is just is not as well known as CELTA or Trinity. This has not impeded me whilst working in Madrid or in Mexico, but as I say it hasn't helped whilst looking for work in the UK.

If anybody has any specific questions about Canterbury, the course or Madrid feel free to message me.
pr455

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob01 wrote:
I took the course in 2008. Since then I have been teaching in Spain and Mexico. The course itself is excellent; it is well structured, designed and delivered. The school is a good start is you are new to Madrid, but as somebody has already said they`re are much better teaching gigs out there.. but Canterbury is a good starting point, the classes are easy and all the support is there, but once you get a handle on the city you will find yourself branching out to more well paid options.

The thing with the Canterbury certificate is that it is not a CELTA or Trinity TESOL, and I have found that this has restricted my UK teaching options, basically because nobody has heard of the accreditation that it does have... see;

The accreditation; www.collegeofteachers.ac.uk
The course; http://www.collegeofteachers.ac.uk/accreditation/associateship-tesol

It is mentioned on the web site; this accreditation is a fairly recent thing (within the last few years), however it is a real and legit TESOL awarding body, but it is just is not as well known as CELTA or Trinity. This has not impeded me whilst working in Madrid or in Mexico, but as I say it hasn't helped whilst looking for work in the UK.

If anybody has any specific questions about Canterbury, the course or Madrid feel free to message me.

rob01,

That is because TESOL is really recognized in the USA and Canada. I wouldn't doubt that it is a good course, but it is all about certification at the end of the day and that is what most people are concerned about.

Thanks for your detailed response.

Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: