Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Premier Language Centre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawnbuckley

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Premier Language Centre Reply with quote

Hi,

I am thinking of moving from Japan to Singapore. Has anyone heard of Premier Language Centre?

The salary seems a bit low:@S$3,000 p/m. No housing included. Would I get by with this?

Thanks,

Dawn
moralleader1

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Here! Reply with quote

I know teachers who are making S$ 5000 a month plus housing allowance, yearly tickets and other perks and are leaving since they cannot make it anymore.

Singapore is expensive and money is a big issue.

Hope this helps!
moralleader1

I know teachers who are making S$ 5000 a month plus housing allowance, yearly tickets and other perks and are leaving since they cannot make it anymore.

Hope this helps!
moralleader1

Hope this helps!
eslbob

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

Last edited by eslbob on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
rocketchild

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: eeeek Reply with quote

this company offered me work
but the contract was so bad
and they were so vague on details
and told me i had to pay my own flight and would only
pay a part of it...but could i hurry up and get there. ....

i ran far and fast from them.
virgemary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can indeed survive with 3k per month if you dont intend to live like a king. You wont be living like a pauper too, its actually quite a decent respectable salary. Cost of living here is high but then again, to be fair, it all depends if you decide to live like a local or some socialite. With 3k, if you are not extravagant, I ll say you can even afford to put half of it or maybe 1k into your monthly savings acc. Very Happy
Janiny

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider that they probably won't actually keep you a year whether you have a contract or not. Singapore is notorious for duping temps into thinking they have a good steady job. Virgemary is right, but rents are increasing dramatically and rapidly. in short, you'll be sorry! Don't work in Singapore!
If you're ever traveling between Indonesia and Malaysia, and you have to pee - Singapore is great. Otherwise avoid it like the Chinese Supremacist Police State it is.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Premier Language Centre Reply with quote

Forget it! S$3k per month? Rent, is about S$2k - S$2.5k per month for anything better than a dog box. (Yes, you can share! But who wants to be driven mad by some one who dosen't share the same interests?)

Then there are utilities, plus living expenses, (simple meals at a restaurant [chicken rice 3 meals a day] or raw food to cook at home.

Plus travelling expenses: bus to and from work and the odd (very odd on that salary) day out. Plus entry fees to the Zoo plus other attractions.

You see, you are way behind the eight ball. In fact, you are standing still while the ship goes over the horizon.

If sheepshead's entry on living costs in Singapore is still on this forum, you should check it out as nothing much has changed!

Forget it!

Caveat Emptor!
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Premier Language Centre Reply with quote

S$3K per month? Forget it! Accommodation is around S$2k � S$2.5 p/m.
Utilities: How much do you expect to spend on electricity, gas for cooking plus water?
Transport: To and from work and the odd (very odd as you won�t have much pocket money) day out.
Meals/food: What are you going to eat? Chicken rice (the cheapest meal) 3 times a day?
Cooking: What raw food are you going to buy to cook at home?
Entry fees to the Zoo and other tourist (traps) attractions?
Sure you can share accommodation. However, who wants to share their privacy with someone who doesn�t share your interests?
If sheepshead entry is still on this forum, you should read it as there has been little change in Singapore.
Forget it!
Caveat Emptor!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: