Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni of Bahrain howz it swinging??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketchild

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Uni of Bahrain howz it swinging?? Reply with quote

So how is life for the well paid teachers of the Uni of Bahrain ?
Still paradise?

I seem to recall stories of lovely villas and swimming pools and fairly decent working conditions.

Just fishing...been a while since I have been to Bahrain.
It is always the quieter Subject Forum at Daves Cafe...interesting.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many EFLers there ? Or do they keep their heads down in fear of the WRATH of the authorities ?
rocketchild

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: no its a secret almost paradise Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool Cool Cool Cool
I have met recruiters from there who tried to sway me to apply, and teachers who told me for a GULF Uni, it has higher standards and the houses are amazing.

They hold on to their staff long term. 5 years is not uncommon.

But, I am in the middle of doing my M.A. and moving into management posts so at this time it is unlikely there is a place for me in Bahrain.

I was just wondering how it was all going, still smooth sailing.
There could be fear of posting, as Bahrain is small and probably watches its Western staff closer than some other countries.
gulfedout

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the majority of students at UoB are a pleasure to teach and the standard of ability and motivation is higher than most Gulf states, I'm afraid to say that the University are no longer really interested in recruiting expat faculty and this shows in the current package that is offered.

Housing is no longer wonderful, if it once was. Many are housed in small flats a good 40 minutes drive from campus. With rents rising here and UoB unwilling to raise its allowance they are now moving teachers into campus housing, which sounds fine at first until you discover that the housing is in the middle of nowhere next to the Formula 1 track. Yes, you are now five minutes away from work but now 30 minutes from any decent amenities...

If you've got kids then really forget coming here. School fees are rising at a rate of 10% per year while UoB's schooling allowance either doesn't exist or covers the 10% depending on where you're recruited from.

Added to the rising cost of the living on the island and the fact that this particular university seems to have missed the bunch of pay rises that other Gulf institutions have been offering to offset inflation, you'll struggle on your salary here especially if you're forking out for school fees.

Conclusion: Great students but this is not a place to make money, especially if you have a family.
lall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: School Reply with quote

gulfedout wrote:
With rents rising here and UoB unwilling to raise its allowance they are now moving teachers into campus housing, which sounds fine at first until you discover that the housing is in the middle of nowhere next to the Formula 1 track. Yes, you are now five minutes away from work but now 30 minutes from any decent amenities...
Without a car, you're in trouble, if you are housed anywhere near the F1 track.
gulfedout wrote:
If you've got kids then really forget coming here. School fees are rising at a rate of 10% per year ......

gulfedout wrote:
........you'll struggle on your salary here especially if you're forking out for school fees.

gulfedout wrote:
Conclusion:...... especially if you have a family.

I second that completely.
mistral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Life at UOB & Gulf U Reply with quote

Yes, UOB is in the middle of nowhere, about 30 minutes' drive from Manama. Very secluded. But the housing is OK. One supermarket and a "food mall "on campus. I think they closed Starbucks. "Speedy Taxis" (metered), if they're still going, are the cheapest way into town. The rest charge you whatever you're prepared to pay. Better to buy a car if you're thinking of staying for a while.

Gulf University is in Manama and definitely better organised but staff have to live out at OUB or pay for their own accommodation in town. If you've a Masters or PhD, the pay is the same. GU teach mainly Medical English.

Bahrain is KSA by the sea but with all the frills of the west. KSA is a hell of a lot cheaper and salaries are much higher.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahrain is a bit too much llike the "Real World" for me. And expensive. With low wages. You could have a higher standard of living back in Blighty. (Perish the thought.)

It might be possible for a couple to keep thier heads above water, but with kids and schhol fees ? Do not think so. Head over that Causeway to the Magical Kingdom. And remember the first 20 years are the worst.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
gulfedout

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do need a car otherwise even the Speedy Taxi fares can mount up and come out of what is not a great salary. Plus there's often a long wait for Speedy car as they're so much in demand, especially during peak hours. I never see many 'local cabs' (unmetered) hanging around outside the campus.

As for Scot's comment about a better standard of living in the UK, I'm afraid he could be right there. With the high cost of living on the island, plenty of things to suck up you cash you could be more out of pocket working at UoB than you are back home!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: