Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have the Greeks forgotten 1967-1974, i.e. the Military Junta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deicide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Have the Greeks forgotten 1967-1974, i.e. the Military Junta Reply with quote

essentially put in place by the CIA?

Do they still feel resentment toward Americans because of it?
Stuart888

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Greeks, especially the older ones, won't have forgotten the years of the dictatorship. When I worked there(I'm British) I was told that the elderly people were still careful about what they said in public, out of force of habit, when they couldn't air there views under the junta. Some of the younger generation then pick up on this and adopt the same prejudices.

The war in Iraq seems to be the problem now, with all Americans being singled out as Bush loving war mongerers, who want to take over the world. Anybody with any intelligence realises that this certainly isn't the case. Also a lot of Americans don't help themselves by being loud and making their presences known.

I visited Denmark a few years ago, and a German girl told me she felt sorry for me because I was British and the British government were aiding the Americans in Iraq. I thought this was ironic considering I could have told her I felt sorry for her, because she was born into a country that elected the Nazis who gassed 6 million Jews.

There are some people who are rather small minded, but most people are intelligent enough to see through your Nationality.
DoubleDutch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't forgotten. And it's not just Americans, but The West in general is not seen in a positive light by many. But this doesn't play a role on a personal level for most Greeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: