Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending Money Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scb222

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Sending Money Home Reply with quote

how difficult is it to send money home - deposit into my aussie bank account? i need to pay off loans and whatnot. any tips from those that have done this would be much appreciated. i heard that in china you cant send money out of the country, is that true?
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can open a bank account in China, but remitting funds is strictly controlled due to the RMB's being non-convertible.
If you have a legal job, you can legally convert up to 70% of your salary and transfer it to Oz. You probably will feel the procedures hasslesome.
They also seem to cost a stiff charge.
An option is to open a foreign-currency account here and buy foreign currency on the black market - not that I would strongly recommend it. It saves time and certainly does not cost more although in some places it is difficult to find illegal money-changers.
A third option is via Hong Kong. If you live in Guangdong, then this is an ideal solution.
Note that no foreign bank has any branches here - neither the American Bank nor HSBC are "branches". They only maintain "representative offices".
Courier services are not allowed to carry money out of China!
Only Western Union in Hong Kong will do that from there, not from the mainland!
Mavrik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your school to pay you in American Dollars, and then use Western Union, available all over China. Even though I am sending it to Canada, I still need U.S. Dollars. The fee is $15US for under $500US and $20US for under a $1000. It's sent in an hour and still cost less than going through the banks. Good Luck
Per Scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm American and send money home using travelers' checks in U.S. dollars. The fee in China is 1%, and this means you save money if you're not sending much home. You can send a thousand dollars home for $11. I did this in Korea and saved $25 each time.
The main drawback for me is that only one bank in a big area may sell these. In Sichuan it's the provincial branch of the Bank of China in Chengdu. My bank doesn't have a problem with these checks. I just endorse them to the bank for deposit only and give my account info.
About money changers, I read that they're licensed by the government.
That makes sense because I see them out in the open in front of the banks in plain view of the police. Just bring a magnifying glass and know what to look for to spot a fake bill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: