Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ageism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandyG20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Ageism Reply with quote

I see alot of posts recently about old codgers and other terminology about over 40 age applicants applying for teaching jobs overseas.

Given the declining birthrate and there being fewer age 20 somethings to apply for jobs - you would think that employers would be eager to hire workers over 40.

We have more life experience, more work history, in many cases more education, often higher work ethic and want to stick around for more than 1 year and party for the year we are there.

I see the ageism thing existing within the United States as well.

So where is a good place for someone over 40 (or 50) to apply for work overseas?
MO39

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico is a place where being older is not a problem, at least I haven't run into any while job hunting, and I'm soon to turn 63 (can't quite believe it myself!). I've heard some schools here do have upper age limits, but this is not usually the case.
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MO39 wrote:
Mexico is a place where being older is not a problem,

The chain schools usually don't hire anyone over 40 - they don't say this but I saw it at a recent interview. Age doesn't seem to be a problem at unis and private language schools here.
sweeney66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is fine because over 40 who wants to work at a chain school anyway? I've seen many ads here that specify age, appearance, and even one which specified a dress size! My jaw was still hanging when I realized that they had saved me good deal of trouble. Now, in the US, I started hearing "overqualified" (i.e. "too old") while still in my 30's!
jwbhomer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China is fine if you're over 40 and under 60. The Chinese still seem to have some respect for the wisdom of the elders. Over 60s are occasionally hired, but I know one over-60 who was turned down by Beijing Normal University at Zhuhai because "we wouldn't be able to get insurance for you".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: