Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tibet charity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HollyC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: tibet charity Reply with quote

has anyone volunteered for this organization or know anything about them? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Holly
enoch83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK but i read the advert and I also want to go volunteer with them. I want to go in Jan/Feb for a couple months. I was planning on doing a trans-india train trip from Bombay(Mumbai), wanna join me?!

oh ya and i emailed them for some info 3 days ago but i haven't heard back from them.
HollyC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. ahhh, so you emailed that org. and no response? that doesnt sound too good. It sounds like a good opportunity and I looked on their calendar. They only need 3 volunteers at a time. Did you see that? let me know if you get any info from them.
Cubism

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: If you're interested in working w/ Tibetans... Reply with quote

try Tibetan Childrens Village. They have locations all over India. Also try the Tibetan Reception Centers, eg, Mcleodganj India. They have art therapy projects for children refugees that are really interesting. Ditto Nepal, in Kathmandu, reception centers they are called. Ask them to send you to other projects if they don't have room.

I needed some good karma, hence the helpfulness.

Cubism
AlanaInTheWorld

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, though, you don't need to worry if Tibet Charity doesn't get back to you. In Dharamsala you can volunteer in any number of places, and you don't need to set up teaching positions beforehand. You can volunteer in LHA (Louisana Himalaya Association) or in HOPE education center. Both will make you have at least a one month commitment. There are conversation groups in both of these organizations as well, that have drop in hours everyday 4-5 at LHA, 5-6 at HOPE, and it's likely that you will be asked to privately teach many people. (I'd advise you to limit your number of private students though, it can get overwhelming)

Tibet charity helps you set up a place to live right? It's fairly easy to establish yourself in Dharamsala/ McLeod, and you can find an apartment on your own. From what I understand the training they give you is a tour of the town. But what's supposed to be nice about TC is that they are very community oriented, and will host dinners for volunteers. They are probably fine to come with, but don't stress if you can't get a hold of them but still want to come to Dharamsala. There are so many ways to volunteer your English skills upon arrival, that its not really necessary to come with an organization.

Also, I don't think that TCV accepts Western volunteers, generally. TCV, unless you have a very specific request with them, tends to keep the children more isolated, for a traditional Tibetan education. But you can volunteer with Rogpa, which is a day care center run by Korean and Western volunteers that are always willing to take more help. It specifically works with single moms and low-income families, and provides excellent child care to their children to free up their time.

I worked with the Tibetan Women's Association, as an English teacher in their womens' vocational training program. I lived in Dharamsala for a half year, and if you have any specific questions I would be happy to help. Just drop me a line.
Ajan Provocateur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Information on volunteering for Tibet Charity Reply with quote

I worked for Tibet Charity in 2008, 2012, 2013.
My last assignment there was as a film maker.

I was on the team who introduced the NEF books and placement tests back in 2008, the school is very professional now.

If you are thinking of volunteering in McLeod Ganj , then take a look at this guide
http://www.tibetcharity.in/sites/default/files/vol_info_july2013_0.pdf
It was produced by Tibet Charity but its about living in the town, getting there, finding a place to stay, places to volunteer and courses you can do.
It has loads of listings and links.
flyingpiglet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: tibet charity Reply with quote

HollyC wrote:
has anyone volunteered for this organization or know anything about them? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Holly

I've volunteered 3 times for Tibet Charity. It's a great place to work. They use a text book which makes things straightforward. The students, mostly young Tibetan adults, are very positive and lovely people. The Charity does good things - check out its website www.tibetcharity.in I really recommend Tibet Charity. In fact I wrote two books after volunteering for them and spending time in McLeod Ganj. Both available as ebooks. "Between Monks and Monkeys" and "The Yeti in the Library." By Gill Winter. McLeod Ganj is a fun place to stay too. NB they usually want teachers for the whole 4 and a half month term if possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: