Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headed to France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgroovey1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Headed to France Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently got married to a French citizen, and we have decided to give life in France a try, rather than Canada. My wife is currently back in France (Normandie region) getting work, and I will be headed there at the beginning of September.

Acknowledging the fact that work opportunities for me are limited, mostly due to my beginner level of French, I am considering the teaching English route to start. That, and teaching has also been of interest to me for a while.

I have my Visa, and will have my 'carte de sejour' shortly after I arrive, thus I am okay to work legally (unless 3 different French consulate people lie). I am 33, with a Bachelor of Art's Degree in Canada, and with a diverse history of work experience. We expect to be about 1 hour away from Paris (Normandie region), so the less desirable place for me to work will be right in Paris via the train. I'd rather a smaller city though.

I am considering an online TEFL course to atleast allow me to apply places. My intention is to supplement my wife's income by teaching, to start (I appears that teaching is not a get rich career in France). It could be a long term career path for me, but I am not sold on it yet.

Anyone have recommendations as how to best go about things? Should I do the TEFL online route or is it a waste? I have a contact with a corporate teaching company, but I'm not banking on anything from it. Will it be difficult or is there a demand for teachers with corporate work experience? Any suggested companies? I hear not so good things about the Wallstreet place, but am considering it as a decent place to start.

All information anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
bsjess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Rather than teaching Reply with quote

Hello dgroovey1,

First welcome to France!

Second, this may be totally different from the advice you've already received, but have you considered contacting Canadian agencies / companies to see if you can work for any of their affiliates in France?

Another idea is if you like to write, you could contact major publishers in Europe who are always on the lookout for copy-editors. Not a get-rich quick plan, but one that does generate revenue on the side as you look for teaching work.

Those who are regulars on this discussion list know what's coming next: Surprise!
TESOL France will be holding its annual conference on November 7th and 8th in Paris. Not too far from Normandy. It's a conference that includes practical information as well as networking opportunities. You should find some leads there (both training and work) as well as decide for sure if teaching ESL is the thing for you. www.tesol-france.org
Check out our FAQ list on teaching in France:
http://www.tesol-france.org/FAQ.php5

Sorry guys for the repeat blurb. TESOL France is a staple in ELT in France.

Good luck dgroovey1!
dgroovey1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bsjess,

Thanks for the work suggestions. They are good and might come in handy when I am there. I am doing my TEFL online right now, and will be heading there as soon as I can, pending a couple of delays.

Thanks for replying.

D
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any online TEFL course has a very restricted value - especially when there is no practical observed teaching practice.

And any TEFL Cert has limited value in France anyway.

But then I've said that many times before, of course.
dgroovey1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, my purpose isn't to be a professor of English in a prestigious private school demanding a high dollar for my medals of honor.

My purpose was stated in my original post. An online TEFL course, in my current opinion, will open some doors allowing me to apply for and hopefully get entry level work and a mediocre paycheck. AND All for less than $300 and a couple text books from Chapters/Indigo.

It seems like a no brainer really. It's a small price to pay to get the opportunity to start into a completely new field, which has potential to develop into a career, and in a country where I don't yet speak better than the equivalent of a high school grade 9 basic french student.

I appreciate your comments about the reality of the online TEFL certification and its value, but I assume that you missed the point of my post. To be quite honest, I'm not actually sure if you read it. If you did read it, I suspect that ..... well, shall I just say it was not constructive to my post in any way, hence my reply.

What would be helpful is something along the lines of..... Wallstreet or Berlitz are corporate enterprises which will employ you but at low salaries.... XXXX will be tougher to get into, but will pay a little better...... XXXX, forget it unless you have a CELTA with 1 year minimum experience..... XXXXX will be tough to get into, but worth it.... you can put out ads and tutor privately... for your purpose you might want to look at.... etc.

That would be helpful. I will appreciate your comments, if they are constructive and helpful to me. I am baffled as to why you posted.... especially if "you've said that many times before."

I have no doubt you could assist with some really good info, so please, if you care to, I would be happy to read it. Maybe I have just read too many posts with you contributing, that I feel I deserve more from you than what I got.... or I should feel privileged just that you posted (where's lolwhites) *LOL* bsjess, I'll buy you a beer if we ever cross paths.
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your post - twice, in fact.

And I responded to this part

" Should I do the TEFL online route or is it a waste?"

Maybe you just didn't like the answer.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgroovey1 wrote:
Anyways, my purpose isn't to be a professor of English in a prestigious private school demanding a high dollar for my medals of honor.

My purpose was stated in my original post. An online TEFL course, in my current opinion, will open some doors allowing me to apply for and hopefully get entry level work and a mediocre paycheck. AND All for less than $300 and a couple text books from Chapters/Indigo.

It seems like a no brainer really. It's a small price to pay to get the opportunity to start into a completely new field, which has potential to develop into a career, and in a country where I don't yet speak better than the equivalent of a high school grade 9 basic french student.

I appreciate your comments about the reality of the online TEFL certification and its value, but I assume that you missed the point of my post. To be quite honest, I'm not actually sure if you read it. If you did read it, I suspect that ..... well, shall I just say it was not constructive to my post in any way, hence my reply.

What would be helpful is something along the lines of..... Wallstreet or Berlitz are corporate enterprises which will employ you but at low salaries.... XXXX will be tougher to get into, but will pay a little better...... XXXX, forget it unless you have a CELTA with 1 year minimum experience..... XXXXX will be tough to get into, but worth it.... you can put out ads and tutor privately... for your purpose you might want to look at.... etc.

That would be helpful. I will appreciate your comments, if they are constructive and helpful to me. I am baffled as to why you posted.... especially if "you've said that many times before."

I have no doubt you could assist with some really good info, so please, if you care to, I would be happy to read it. Maybe I have just read too many posts with you contributing, that I feel I deserve more from you than what I got.... or I should feel privileged just that you posted (where's lolwhites) *LOL* bsjess, I'll buy you a beer if we ever cross paths.

Chill out, what are you ranting for?

Go online and find the e-mail address of every 'institution' teaching English.

Send a CV etc.

Many don't even care about qualifications. Standing up and speaking at the same time seem to be the only requirements.

When you are here register at an interim agency.

Put an add in the newspaper for 'English Lessons'.

The online TEFL courses seem really stupid to me.

Get the reading list for the CELTA of Cambridge Uni website, buy the books and read them.
bsjess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Headed to France Reply with quote

Heh,
dgroovey1, you better not be kiddin' about that beer!

Another idea crossed my mind as I read the charming words of wisdom from my fellow teachers: do some digging into your own background / professional experience. Many many many schools and recruiters are looking for needs-specific English teachers: individuals with a professional background in a specific field to teach that field in English. Some institutions will hire you to teach your specialty in English and not necessarily the "English language." Have a think about that. Use your professional background as marketing material as you hunt for work. You might find a pretty snazzy niche.

Best of luck.
Chimay fan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: