Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nanjing, Wuxi or Suzhou?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babeilou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Nanjing, Wuxi or Suzhou? Reply with quote

I've been offered the choice of jobs in Nanjing, Wuxi or Suzhou. I realize that it all depends on the job ....but, can anyone with experience in any or all of these cities give me info that will help me decide which city is best for me?

I know Nanjing is the largest and I do like cities. Will I find enough to keep me interested in the other two cities? I am an older person so I don't need a club night life. Any info is much appreciated.
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would opt for SUZHOU as it is by far the most attractive city of the three! It has more charm than the other ones, yet it has attracted a number of international investors, which makes it more cosmopolitan.
Its historic downtown is fairly scenic.

Wuxi is a nondescript town on the edge of China's largest lake. I wasn't impressed at all, but then, this was several years back.
Nanjing has also seen some modernisation. In the downtown area, it looks somewhat Stalinesque, but the environs are green and full of historic spots, including Sun Yat'sen's mausoleum - if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Even if you are not a bar regular, I think Suzhou is the most appealing for you!
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you did ask. If big cities are your thing, I guess Nanjing fits the bill best As much as I hate to , i'll have to go ditto with Roger, and say Suzhou would be my pick...based on my students, lot of nice kids from Suzhou, so that tells me something. The feel of Suzhou is very nice. It is also plenty close to some nice big cities. And Suzhou is more what I think of when I think China.
All I know of Wuxi is my Chinese friends from there say it has nice canals which are old and smelly, the city is dirtier , but the school actually severall colleges that combined several years ago, is a good college system.
Suzhou has a good location to offer you different parts of China, I think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: