Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Visa Laws - Take Them Seriously!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: New Visa Laws - Take Them Seriously! Reply with quote

From the Prague Post:

Two Americans to be deported under Schengen
Men being held in refugee camp in East Bohemia

February 6th, 2008 issue

(Updated Feb. 12, 2008)"Two Americans who were illegally residing in the Czech Republic have been arrested, put in a camp for illegal aliens and are awaiting deportation, Mlad� fronta Dnes reports.

Police in the East Bohemian town of Prostějov arrested two American citizens who exceeded the three months they are allowed to legally stay in the Czech Republic without a visa, according to the newspaper. They are being held in a camp for refugees in Po�torn� na Břeclavsku.

The two men, who came to the Czech Republic in October, failed to leave the country during the three-month period. If the men had left, they would have automatically had the legal right to stay another three months when they came back.

Schengen agreements were made between European Union countries in 1985 and 1990 that allow residents in participating countries to travel freely without border controls. As part of European Union enlargement, the Czech Republic entered the Schengen zone in December.

Before the Czech Republic joined the Schengen zone, it was common practice for foreigners to leave for a neighboring country in any three-month period to fulfill the legal requirement.

But now that the nearest "foreign" border is with Ukraine, the procedure has become more complicated. Along with the Czech Republic, eight other countries joined the Schengen travel area in 2007 -- Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia. Prior to the expansion, there were 15 Schengen states. The island of Cyprus and Romania and Bulgaria are expected to join in the future.
"

The article's not clear that the men would have had to stay out of the zone for at least 90 days, to have the right to return for 90 more...but that is the case. No more one-day border runs!

Yesterday, the Post reported that these two individuals had not been working during their stay, and are thought to be of Czech (Roma) ancestry, and probably have relatives in the area. NOT English teachers!!

While I think it would be highly unusual for the police to go seeking out American (or Canadian, or Australian, or Kiwi) English teachers to confirm their legal status, I DO think that anyone without, at minimum, some documentation that he/she is working on obtaining proper working visas could be at risk.

I suppose it's most likely that the greatest risk would be simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time, where police are involved in something more serious and catching an 'illegal' would be just a side 'benefit.' But those illegal-drug-seeking police who haunt the trains, especially in summer months, could be a real danger to any teacher trying to live under the radar, for example...
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sigma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I checked Prostejov was in Moravia and not East Bohemia. Rolling Eyes

I read in another article that they are probably going to apply for asylum. Since 1991, only three other American citizens have applied for asylum in the Czech Republic.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really don't want to imply that this case is the beginning of some big, targeted sweep of English teacher types. I think these guys are Czech by descent, and if they're Roma (as the P.Post said yesterday) they were likely specifically targeted by police. The idea of applying for asylum would support the possibility that they have Czech relatives, too, I think.

It just seems to me that, especially now that this precedent has been set, any cop who happens to discover another US citizen in the same legal situation might feel more obliged to live up to this standard of law enforcement.

Hmmm, Prague Post writers' haven't got maps? Very Happy
Anyway, I'm convinced the story is generally true, as it's being reported throughout Czech news. I wouldn't discount it as urban myth.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the irony of US Roma applying for asylum in the CR has just struck Shocked
Maybe this'll improve the rep of the country in the eyes of the human rights advocates who often highlight cases of discrimination against Roma in the CR...
Sigma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story is true... trust me. Wink

Here are a few more links....

"It is really strange," Vlckova said. "I suppose they have family ties here. Only they know why they have not legalized their stay."

The men - who are US Roma according to an informed source - had neither worked, studied nor had business in the Czech Republic, she said. "They simply were here," Vlckova said.

The US Embassy in Prague has declined to give details, citing the men's privacy rights. "We are following developments," spokeswoman Victoria Silverman said.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/185071,us-illegals-end-up-in-czech-refugee-camp-seek-asylum.html

Radio Prague goes into much more detail about the asylum case.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/100733
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Latest Development Reply with quote

This morning's news summary included this little article on the 2 Americans arrested for overstaying their visa:

http://www.praguemonitor.com/en/274/czech_national_news/18691/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Warning... Reply with quote

Warning to all non-EU expats currently working illegally.

The school I work for has just got a visit from the foreign police regarding a colleague(Canadian) who is working illegally.

This Canadian has applied for a visa and the local foreign police have just received his visa application.
They then came here and met with my bosses and they were told that my colleague is facing deportation and a five-year Schengen ban; however, they said that if he pays a 2000 kc fine, he will be let off the hook and not deported.

So if you are working illegally in the Czech Republic and are even awaiting a visa, you might very well expect a visit from the OCP! My colleague is not being deported, but the possibility of that is very real.

Get legal. It's not THAT hard, y'know. I'm not being judgemental or anything, but for your own good, do it. Non EU members coming to the Czech Republic to teach are well advised to have a process mapped out before you get here:

You have three months in the country. Before your time is up apply for a short term visa extending your tourist visa. Hopefully you will have a job by then. If you didn't, I would LEAVE. For ninety days.

If you were to find a job in the first month of arrival, you should be able to have the work permit from the Urad Prace within the second month, as well as rental contract and all the good things you need to get a visa. At that point apply for TWO visas: one to extend your stay in the Schengen Zone( a short term visa) and the other for a long term stay. THis will enable you a) to stay legally in the Schengen Zone for a further three months and b) to go to Vienna(Bratislava, Dresden, etc) to pick up your visas--as your visa will NOT ENABLE you to visit any other Schengen countries.
IN other words, once your "three month" tourist visa is up, you will not be able to travel in Europe, EVEN IF you have a visa. You will have to stay in CZ(or fly to UK, or Switzerland if you wanted to travel abroad) This does not apply to all Schengen countries, but it does apply to the Czech Republic.

I'm typing all this hastily right now, so I hope it's clear.

I did hear SOME good news regarding English teachers, but I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet--for now it is a rumor and nothing more. When I get more information, I will post it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post - that will be useful specific info for lots of newbies considering work in the Czech Rep.

I wonder whether the 2,000 kc fine is standard or 'at the discretion of the officer?' Laughing
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma wrote:
The last time I checked Prostejov was in Moravia and not East Bohemia. Rolling Eyes

I read in another article that they are probably going to apply for asylum. Since 1991, only three other American citizens have applied for asylum in the Czech Republic.

I reckon "East Bohemia's" Close enough to Moravia for the Prague Post...
Very Happy
I understand that you yourself are living in Prostejov, Sigma. Can you give us any info, for gossip's sake, on the two deportees? Have you ever met them?
Sigma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't know them and no real news which hasn't been printed in the papers.

I did read an article a few days back which stated they have given up on asylum.
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they got arrested once they found out about the Schengen Zone and then went to the foreign police to ask them what to do. Shocked
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could they not have heard? It was all over the news, both in Czech and English...
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: The Latest Reply with quote

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/101060

Interesting reading. A little out-of-context stuff and some misstated information but seful on what they say happened with the CZ police.
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the situation here: It seems that my colleague got busted mainly because he had forgotten to register with the foreign police when he got here. All foreigners are required to register their address and prescence with the foreign police before they apply for a visa. He hadn't, so when the police got his visa material, they didn't have a record of him. He ended up getting a fine--oh, and, oddly, his visa is to be ready this week, giving a total wait of less than six weeks on the thing. Perhaps getting caught and fined speeds up the process?

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Also, another colleague is applying today for a short-term visa. We were told that it takes about a week to process and one is legally able to work on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: