Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptops and employment in Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnnitaSudAmerica

Location: Yellow Springs, Ohio (por ahora/for right now...until Dec.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Laptops and employment in Peru Reply with quote

Hello all,

I posted some months ago about jobs in Lima. I will be moving December 4 (2008) to Peru and living there for at least 2 years.

First, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on buying a laptop. I was thinking of buying one in my home country (USA) because I have been told (by Peruvians) they are 3x more expensive in Peru. Do Macs work in Peru or should I go for a PC? What type of outlets are used (three round prongs or rectangles-not sure what these types are actually called)?

Also, as soon as I arrive I will be out looking for jobs, hoping to become employed by a school pretty much ANYWHERE in Peru. I am hoping to get a work visa and stay there legally, if possible, but I will take what is available. I am not sure if I would qualify to teach in a uni or if they would even be hiring when I arrive. Anyone have any suggestions on the best places to start looking? I will be arriving in Lima first and then see where life takes me. I do have a TEFL degree, a BA in Anthropology and I have been teaching part-time ESL classes to teenagers and adults and families in general for about a year and a half. I am fluent in Spanish, if this helps anything...So, if anyone has any suggestions or can offer me any advice it would be more than welcome! I only have 2 more months until the big move and I am starting to feel a bit stressed.

Thanks a bunch! And good luck to all who are also on the look-out!

Anna
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of, sorry to be negative, but how will you get a visa that will allow you to stay here two years? Visa laws have just changed and they're getting stricter. ONly 183 days allowed in a year.

Laptops, don't get them here, they're twice as expensive. Plugs are either two pronged or three pronged. YOu could easily get an adatper here or in the US?

Schools, you'll need a license, most are here www.ibo.org There are also bilingual schools. In LIma, the best ones are in Surco, Miraflores, and LA Molina. Head west, NOT east in LIma.

For unis, you could try UDEP, I'll PM you contact info.

Fluency in SPainsh won't help, you'll be teaching English.
keepwalking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get your laptop before you leave the States: it would also be worth getting one of those things which regulates the current. Im sure they have a proper name but for the life of me I can't remeber what it is! The electricity here can get over-excited and I know of several people who have had lovely US bought laptops fried by an unexpected power surge.

Another thing to get done before you leave the States is to get original copies of your degree and TEFL certificate and take them to the Peruvian consulate in the state where they were issued to get them authenticated. If you do secure a job where the employer supports your work visa application you will need this.

December /January/February can be quiet times: the universities are closing down for the summer, schools are too and many language institutes see a bit of a drop off in numbers as their studetns head for the beach. Be prepared for not being able to get full time work as soon as you arrive, you may have to wait a bit or work at several places until you get more regular hours.

It might be an idea to have a look at other places around Peru in that quiet period: places like Cusco and Arequipa also have a busy EFL scene. Less gringo-fied, but still good sources of employment are Trujillo and Chiclayo.

Good luck with your search
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: