Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather in Osaka, Japan - winter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashtonmd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Weather in Osaka, Japan - winter Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

I am going to be working for ECC starting in November and was just wondering if I should bring/will need winter boots?

I will be in Osaka, and from my research online it only drops down to 5 - 10 C in the winter. Is that accurate? Do I actually need to bring winter boots, or will shoes suffice? I should add that I am from Ontario Canada, and am used to snow, but from what I can tell they really don't get much if any there.

Furthermore, are there any things that you brought that you really didn't need? I know I will need to bring deodorant, toothpaste, and all clothing since I am 5'6 and wear a 9 shoe.

Any weather/packing related advice would be most appreciated!
Apsara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5'6" isn't super tall here so you will probably be able to buy clothes- I am 5'9" and buy clothes from Zara, Benetton, Gap and Japanese chains like Uniqlo and Muji. There are also British stores like Next in some areas. Shoes you will definitely want to bring with you.

The toothpaste myth lingers on- you can actually buy Colgate and Aquafresh here easily and cheaply so no need to bring any unless you have another brand you particularly like. I find the Japanese deodorants fine but apparently most don't so possibly worth bringing.

The most snow you might get in Osaka is a couple of inches on the ground which melts quickly- I just wear normal shoes and boots.
humancartography

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashtonmd,

I agree with Apsara's comments: you should have no problem finding clothes that fit you. I am also 5"6 and wear a size 9 shoe. It's a good idea to bring shoes with you, but if you look hard, you can find shoes that will fit you in Japan (especially if you're based in Osaka and so close to the shoe capital of Kobe!).

As for toiletries, I think it boils down to the individual. Depending on your preference, you might want to bring a bit and compare it with the Japanese equivalents. I had no problem with the toothpastes in Japan, but I never used the deodorant.
Zzonkmiles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the daytime, winter temperatures are indeed between 6 and 10C. But at night, temperatures are usually from -2 to 2C. It's a very dry cold. Snow does fall occasionally, but it rarely accumulates. You won't need snowboots. But you WILL need sweaters.

Apartments in Japan are generally very cold during the winter and very hot during the summer.

Bring your favorite toothpastes, bodywashes, shampoos, etc. Mail them in bulk.
Firestarter2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the same shoe size as me and while you'll be on the big side, you can definitely buy shoes here. I've never seen snow on the ground in Osaka and while it can get pretty chilly, it is nothing compared to what your used to. So winter boots or heavy winter clothing won't be necessary. I agree with the above poster though, your apartment will be FREEZING at times, so wearing sweaters and stuff around the house will be commonplace (something I never did in Canada).
Khyron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Weather in Osaka, Japan - winter Reply with quote

Ashtonmd wrote:
...just wondering if I should bring/will need winter boots?
Not unless you plan on going hiking in the mountains in winter. Shoes work just fine.

Quote:
I will be in Osaka, and from my research online it only drops down to 5 - 10 C in the winter. Is that accurate?
Pretty much. It might hit minus 1 or 2 a couple days a year, but it's usually as you said.

Quote:
I should add that I am from Ontario Canada, and am used to snow, but from what I can tell they really don't get much if any there.
Ontario's a big place. Are you from the Bruce Peninsula? Toronto area? Ottawa area? Irquois Falls? Timmins? Moose Factory? Long Lac? Sioux Sault Marie? Sioux Lookout? Thunder Bay? Atikokan? Some Native reserve with no roads?

Osaka does not get much snow, if any. If it does get any, it's generally gone the same day or the next.
Quote:

Furthermore, are there any things that you brought that you really didn't need? I know I will need to bring deodorant, toothpaste, and all clothing since I am 5'6 and wear a 9 shoe.
You don't know you need to bring those, because you don't! All are readily available in Osaka, or any small, medium or large Japanese city. I can't think of anything that I can't buy here. Perhaps bring a pillow along for the flight and a familiar place to rest year head when you get here.

Quote:
Any weather/packing related advice would be most appreciated!
Warm autumn clothing in North Bay, Ontario is good for the winter in Japan. As someone said, apartments and houses here don't have central heating. They use space heaters or varying quality. Bring sweaters and nice socks to wear indoors.

Last edited by Khyron on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Ashtonmd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ontario's a big place. Are you from the Bruce Peninsula? Toronto area? Ottawa area? Irquois Falls? Timmins? Moose Factory? Long Lac? Sioux Sault Marie? Sioux Lookout? Thunder Bay? Atikokan? Some Native reserve with no roads?

I'm from the St. Lawrence valley - on the Quebec & US border, but I have lived in Kingston for the past few years - so as for winters, I'm used to a TON of snow and wind and temps of up to and around - 20 - 30.

Thank you all so far for your advice!! Keep it coming!
Khyron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtonmd wrote:
I'm from the St. Lawrence valley - on the Quebec & US border, but I have lived in Kingston for the past few years - so as for winters, I'm used to a TON of snow and wind and temps of up to and around - 20 - 30.

Thank you all so far for your advice!! Keep it coming!
Well, it doesn't really matter where in Ontario you're from because you won't be seeing even close to that much snow and cold weather in Kansai. Hokkaido or northwest Tohoku... maybe, but you'll be a long way from there.

Now I advise you to read the stickies if you haven't yet. That failing, just pick a random person here and PM them with all your questions. I'm sure they'll be delighted!
wintersweet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the shoes, one of my clients is a Japanese woman who wears a US size 9. She *can* buy shoes in Japan, but it's annoying and she finds the selection (and comfort level!) much better in North America. So YMMV there.
Apsara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is also my experience as most shops here stop at 24.5-25 (7.5-Cool. Looking forward to a trip to Australia at the end of this year in part so I can buy shoes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: