Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a new scam???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojoski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Is this a new scam??? Reply with quote

I've recently gotten two job "offers" from individuals who saw my resume posted online. The money is too good to be true.

1. A doctor from Colombia who has relocated to UK. Needs live in ELT for his wife and two kids. 4500 GB POUNDS per month plus accomodation. I wonder why he doesn't put an ad in the London Times and get a Brit for a third as much. I suggested as much to him. I've emailed him, but he urges me to call him. He asked for my resume and said that he went over it, etc. He's asked me if my passport is currently valid. He even sent me photos of him and his family. They appear to be just as he described. BUT why the high pay and why not one of the thousands upon thousands of ELTs in GB? Shocked

2. An engineer from Sweden who relocated to Lagos, Nigeria and needs a live in ELT for his wife and four children. $7500 USD per month. I haven't responded to this guy.

So what do you think? If I keep corresponding with El Doctor, is he sooner or later going to ask me for money to fix the UK visa? So far he hasn't hinted at anything of the sort. On the European boards I've seen a number of ads for live in ELT, but they all offer minimal pay and most ask for a female. They seem to be genuine. But what about these guys who claim they will throw money at you? Anybody got an insight as to what the scam might be?

I'm considering going along with El Doctor until I find out when he asks for something he shouldn't ask for (money or compromising personal info).
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not a new scam. An old one - there are some similar threads on Dave's various boards...I'll try to scare up one or two and let you know where they are.

No harm in playing along until the telling request comes:)
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mojoski,
They both sound like scams to me. I mean, Nigeria? 4,600 pounds?

If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.

Regards,
John
fladude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "doctor" from Colombia...

LOL

Somehow I don't think doctors get paid that well down there (or just about anywhere else unless they are some kind of brain doctor or something like that).
Mojoski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I thought so. Oh, I forgot to mention Mr. Swede said he needed someone by 'May.' He forgot to update it. That confirmed that one as a scam for me. Oh, and El Doctor's email was CC to himself, so I'm sure there was a whole list of BCCs.
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These scams aren't very original, are they? Plus the salaries offered are always unrealistic, and none of them pay any regard for visa laws. Countries do give work visas for areas of skills shortages, but ELT teachers in the UK are not one of them!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the salary ALONe should tell you that it's a scam.
willraber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could have them both send you retainers.
Whichever one coughs up the most - Twisted Evil - nah, never mind. Rolling Eyes
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. A doctor from Colombia who has relocated to UK. Needs live in ELT for his wife and two kids. 4500 GB POUNDS per month plus accomodation. I wonder why he doesn't put an ad in the London Times and get a Brit for a third as much. I suggested as much to him. I've emailed him, but he urges me to call him. He asked for my resume and said that he went over it, etc. He's asked me if my passport is currently valid. He even sent me photos of him and his family. They appear to be just as he described. BUT why the high pay and why not one of the thousands upon thousands of ELTs in GB?

If someone was intelligent enough to earn that much money do you think they would be paying 5 to 9 times the amount they need for an English teacher. In Comlumbia they can get a foreign English teacher for $500-$1000USD.

They could probably get an Oxford grad for half the price. (2000 pounds).
llstreve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what has happened with the doctor?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new scam??? Reply with quote

Mojoski wrote:
who relocated to Lagos, Nigeria

This was the part that stood out that set my alarm bells ringing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Scams

Regards,
fat_chris
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case no one got willrabers 'cough' joke...here is the thread about the Dr.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=23190
Mojoski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llstreve wrote:
what has happened with the doctor?

Oh, I lost interest if going along with him to find out where the sting comes in. I just stopped replying to him. Got one more email where he just said hope you are having a good weekend.
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa, definitely not new. They are called Nigerian '419 scams.'

Here is a FUNNY site where people have pretended to go along with many of these scams and get the SCAMMERS to do all sorts of hilarious things! It might sound cruel what they get them to do, but just remember they are SCAMMERS trying to rip off everyone from ESL teachers to 98 yo grandmas who just want to help someone out. One funny thing i remember them doing was getting one Nigerian man to record himself reading the entire "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy." They also get them to take all sorts of ridiculous pics to prove who they are!

www.419eater.com
kylemory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of scams out there.. be careful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: