Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Nice / Cannes area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
c_0rey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Moving to Nice / Cannes area Reply with quote

I am moving from the U.S. to the Nice/Cannes area with my French husband this December. I am looking for contacts/information for English teaching positions and any opportunities of the like. I am currently pursuing a course for TEFL certification and have a university business degree.

Any advice, websites, contacts, insights, etc. would be more than appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
[/i]
go2guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www.pagesjaunes.fr (French "Yellow Pages") ... in "QUOI" (What) enter "formations en langues" (language training), or "formations continues" (continuing ed); in "OU" (Where) enter Nice or Cannes. It will turn up whatever exists (including universities / business schools, which inevitably have need for teachers).

Also google "CCI Nice" (or Cannes) for the Chamber of Commerce web site(s), then look for "former" (train) or "Formations" (Training), or they may have a "CEL" (Centre des langues") attached. There is also a listing of CELs throughout France which you can find through google again.

I was once in Nice and looked into it as well, very surprised to see very little there compared to most other places. One thing to remember about the south in general is that there are plenty of teachers (or those who call themselves as such), 'cause who doesn't want to live in the south! So the market is saturated and the wages are definitely lower than anywhere further north (from Lyon on up). Also, a lot of the language training in the south revolves around tourism, as that is one of the biggest (and sometimes only) activity in the area. There is a high tech "pole" (hub / centre) around the Sophia-Antipolis area near Cannes. I'm quite sure "Demos Langues" has clients in that area. (Demos, like a lot of private schools pays very modestly ... but then again, you'll never get rich teaching English in France) Good luck!
bsjess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Work in Nice Reply with quote

About ten years ago, my husband worked for France Maths in Nice. He recommends it. I recently met the owner and she was quite nice. http://francemaths.com/

Of course I have no idea how the pay is. Can't be better than the usual language school.

Try checking out vacataire (temp) positions in universities in Nice. I hear some are pretty good.

Good luck!
c_0rey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you both for the great information. Our move to Cannes went well and I am currently searching for positions. Hopefully I can find something good! Thanks!!
mesomorph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can register for the l'anpe (french jobcentre) and select five areas of 'job interest' and they will send offers to your e-mail.

www.anpe.fr/

I get between 2-5 English Teacher job offers per week. Most you can apply for by just e-mailing your CV and letter of motivation, and then they set up an interview for you.

Sometimes they contact you by phone though so make sure you can take voice messages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: