Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S$3200 offer without accommodation !! Advice please !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackthunder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: S$3200 offer without accommodation !! Advice please !! Reply with quote

Hi , this is venkat from brunei working as a web developer , i have 4 years experience in Web Application development,presently i am getting $1800 + accommodation and then here there is no tax ...(here i can save S$1600 pm)

Currently , one singapore employer offer me as a S$3200 for the contract period of 1 year only...(without accommodation)

if i join for this offer , sure i can able to multiply my skills ... but, Is any guarantee of my job in singapore after one year(bz my contract is just one year only) ?

Now, i come closely to explain my situation ::
1. Position Offered : Sr Software Developer :: Salary :: $3200 :: No extra benefits and mainly 1 year contract only
2. Work commencement date : 6-Nov-2008
3. I have recruited under XXXConsultant and work for his Client (MNC )
---------
How i was, get through............
1. Via XXX Consultant , i got opportunity to get interviewed by his client YYY MNC company ,Singapore after interview they have asked me to do some initial interface for them project.

2. i did this interface using Ajax/Mootools javascript framework + PHP Technology . They liked and appreciate very much for my work.. then only approved offer of employment and extend to 1 year contract under XXX Consultant.

3. Since my interview for this posting which is opened for three month contract only,due to my demands they increased to 1 year..but the salary is same (S$3200).

Now my worry is , is it able get another job before expire of current offer ?(pl mind my current offer for 1 year only)

I am a Diploma holder In Computer Technology (Valivalam Desikar Polytechnic ) . Currently pursuing my Degree in Computer Science from Institutional Engineering ,kolkatta via distance Educcation.

i have four (4+) years experience in software industry including architectural analysis ,design,development and integration of Multi-tier architecture using LAMP / .NET Technology.

Please kindly advice me ....

How possibility to get new job within one year from the commencement of current offer?

Is my qualification and experience well enough to competeate in singapore IT market ?

Hope , i can get good solution from ur guys....
Your valuable comments greatly appreciated....
Thanks in advance...
bje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on the wrong type of forum- this is for EFL teachers. You will need to do a search and find something dealing with the IT field.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: S$3200 without accommodation. Reply with quote

Forget it! You will find that you will be paying around the S$2k per month for crumby accommodation. Stay where you are or go to an European country.

Although this is for ESL, I decide to warn you against doing this contract as you will find that you are saving very little if any thing at all.
virgemary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong channel dude but I ll say go for it! Thats quite a nice salary for Singapore. Very Happy
beaker81

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget it. That salary is mediocre and housing costs about 2500sg and upwards.

Don't.
virgemary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a Singaporean and I dare say that salary is good enough. Just dont live like a king.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Salary Singapore. Reply with quote

Be assured of this; You will NOT live with even the most modest lifestyle in Singapore with the offered salary.

You WILL be needing at least S$4.5 to S$5pm to live and save a modest amount of salary. Even then, you will not be living like a king.

Caveat Emptor!
rigel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not take it. However, if the employer is willing to provide some sort of accommodation with no/very little cut in offered salary, you may do well taking this job. As it stands, walk away.
OuterBanks13

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, but kind of low if you're looking for some decent western digs.
voltaire

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on the wrong sort of forum, friend, it's true - but I feel sorry for you. Run away! After this initial project they have asked your help with, or certainly the one after that, they'll most likely shitcan you. Nevermind that you have a year's contract. The law there allows them within the first three months to dismiss you with no obligation to even explain why. I think you can find accomodatin for under S$1,000 if yo use an agent, but many apartment are openly racist and will not let a non-Chinese in. Do you happen to be ethnically Chinese?
Even we ESL teachers, who have no other skill but what we learned on our mothers' knees can get S$4,000, so I don't know why a skilled technician such as you would stoop so low as to accept S$3,000. My guess is that figure is their minimum acceptable loss. They'll ge a couple of months work out of another ruddy foreigner for under S$10,000, and you'll be stuck in Johor Baru, Malaysia wondering where you go from there.
MADAMELEACH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: LIVING COSTS Singapore Reply with quote

It's likely that you will have to share a run down apartment with three or four others. Those run -down places are often called HDB's.

To rent your own place just for yourself only will not leave you with very much from your salary at all to save.
Fact.

If you get what is called a 'common' room and live with others you can survive. BUt htat means you don't have your own bathroom/toilet facilities. Those are called Master rooms and cost a lot more which then reduces your hard earned salary.

$3200 A MONTH is a 2001/2 salary. Don't forget to leave aside tax as most employers do not take it out of the salary but you will get stung on leaving if you don't show it's been paid with the official tax paid reciept.

Demand more than 3.2 for god's sake Mad

Last edited by MADAMELEACH on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
sheepshead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Accommodation Singapore Reply with quote

Amen Madamleach. You spoke the truth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: