Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House CELTA in CHIANG MAI????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaaronr

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasuke,

The center is about 5-1o miles outside of town. It would be difficult to commute. The center is a great place to stay.
weshh1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates with recent experiences?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiang Mai is a great place to do the CELTA...and the trainers are higy professional and competent. You wil enjoy Chinag Mai. It is one of the most beautiful places here in Thailand. Good luck! Very Happy
weshh1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Anyone have input on how the "Thai style" restaurant food is at the CELTA center in Chiang Mai?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the food is delicious! Very Happy
weshh1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it authentic and do they use local ingredients? Relatively healthy?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they offer traditional, sumptuos, Lanna (Northern Thai) dishes ...my favourite is Pad Thai fried noodles with prawns...you can also try having Thai cooking lessons there.....excellent local food! Enjoy the wonderful Chiang Mai hospitality there. Very Happy Very Happy
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The street food from the stalls is not always so healthy. They use the oil that is thrown out by McDonald's. McDonald's can only filter their oil one time then they have to dispose of it. The street stalls then take it and use the discarded oil.
weshh1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EFL ed!

Plumpy Nut; I have been hearing stories about asian oil for a while. Sounds like this is something that is practiced in several asian countries? I thought it was only China but I suppose if it saves money anyone can go for it.
Luckily, I'm not a huge fan of fried food. I will learn in the native language "What oil do you cook with"?" and "Is this organic?" haha Smile
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
The street food from the stalls is not always so healthy. They use the oil that is thrown out by McDonald's. McDonald's can only filter their oil one time then they have to dispose of it. The street stalls then take it and use the discarded oil.

That is 100% not true.... Well, the part about the oil anyway.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil may or may not be healthy....but its the street dogs you need to watch out for. They may bite into your meal! Shocked
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
The oil may or may not be healthy....but its the street dogs you need to watch out for. They may bite into your meal! Shocked

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Really glad I clicked on this...So funny, can't stop laughing...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Hygiene is a major problem too.....those who cook your food on the street/soi stalls sometimes stay out all day under the hot, steamy sun without taking care of this. All in all Thai food is delicious...in many respects! Most EFL teachers I know eat outside as the food is also relatively cheap. Enjoy the Land of Smiles...and stay clear of the soi dogs! Very Happy
2m01z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: IH CELTA in Chiang Mai Reply with quote

Just got this info. The accommodation is at Hang Dong district, Assaradevi Villas & Spa. The classes take place at the center, a 2-minute drive from Assaradevi. They have 2-van runs a day but you can also walk.
brisket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed this. I can confirm that the food is excellent. Very Happy Tasty, mostly fairly healthy. Vegetarians/vegans are catered for. I think all-organic is a bit much to ask for, but I doubt they use heavily recycled oil, it's quality food.

The school is fairly well-equipped, and about 2min drive/25min walk from the hotel complex. Given the intensity of the course, I'd recommend paying for the whole package -- you'll want every minute of the day you can get for lesson prep etc.

As to the quality of the course itself, I haven't done it anywhere else so it's hard to compare; but the tutors were very professional, it was externally moderated by a Cambridge examiner who turned up in the last week, and it was challenging enough (very challenging!) to give me faith in the CELTA as a qualification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: