Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work in Munich

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smillan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Work in Munich Reply with quote

Hey, does anyone have any information about working in Munich? Thanks in advance
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Check out this website: http://www.melta.de/

I'm sure you will be able to find some valuable info there.

Cheers!
Smillan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. What about some past experience about Munich though? From experiences here, is it a good place to find work? A lot of people I have spoken to mention that it is quite an expensive city. Thanks
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it is quite an expensive city

That's definitely an understatement. It's the most expensive city in Germany!
It is however a very beautiful and international spot with plenty of work for an English teacher. That is of course, if you have the necessary qualifications.
Not always a must in Germany (depends on where you are) but certainly so in Munich and Hamburg where the recruiting can be very competitive.
Business English is what most companies are looking for.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyday prices are the same in Munich as anywhere else in Germany. This fairy tale that old East German cities are cheaper is told by employers in Leipzig, Dresden and all those boring nondescript places that everyone (with anything about them) left in 1989. But money is not the issue here.

Munich rents are sky high, and the demand is unbelievable. But even then, viewing some 50m apartment is no mean feat when seventy odd Eriks and Brunhildes are sniffing the carpet and making sure the bog works, all at a pre-arranged time, between 17.00 and 17.25 on a Friday.

Negotiating apartment rents in Munich is never about money; it�s when can you move in. One benefit, though, amongst this Kaos is that German law is 99% in favour of the tenant � I just negotiated a very nice modern fitted kitchen, which must have cost over 5000 Euro, so join a tenants� association � few foreigners bother and then get shafted by greedy landlords who know foreigners haven�t a clue.

But back to Munich, anyone who�s spent more than a few hours there can�t have helped but wonder just what is going on with the transport. Yes, Munich�s trains are better than the UK or USA, but so what? The amount of taxes and subsidising seen by UK/USA transport companies wouldn�t keep me in beer for a week. Munich�s S-Bahns are so bloody packed that I never bothered paying. A ticket inspector would need a shoe horn to get through those sardine cans of a morning.

And my colleagues in Munich were always lauding over it. �In one hour in your car, you can be in the mountains.� Big deal. I have no car. I couldn�t afford the speeding tickets. What else? Munich restaurants are the most overrated on the planet. I honestly believe Muencheners would eat dog food as long as the restaurant toilets were nice, and the waiter told a few jokes when the bill came. Their food standards are third world! OK, the German fare is nice, but it�s the same old same old same same yawnfest. The international cuisine on offer is on a level with living in Morocco or Algeria. Yes, there are Japanese or Chinese places in Munich, for example, but anyone eating at those places and liking it, might as well stay at home with a tin of dog food. These people are so easily pleased; they have clearly never set foot outside Bavaria. Check out a German restaurant review website � the service was great; the toilets special; the coat hooks were excellent � the food is a mere side attraction. Who cares?

There is a way out of the madness. Avoid Munich and head for somewhere like Berlin. Your wallet and taste buds will be grateful.
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyday prices are the same in Munich as anywhere else in Germany. This fairy tale that old East German cities are cheaper...

Sorry Hod. Can't agree with you on that one. In Magdeburg you can go to a good restaurant (and I mean a good one) with five people and pay 80 Euros altogether for a 3-course meal. That's what two people have to pay in Munich.
Another example is parking in the city. I can park for 4 hours right in the middle of Magdeburg and only pay 2 Euros whereas in Munich it would cost me around 10 to 15 Euros.

These are just two examples which prove that old East German cities are still a bit cheaper than elsewhere.
No offense.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence at all, but could I suggest your comparison of restaurant prices is Egon Ronay�s Munich Vs normal Magdeburg. The maximum I ever paid for two in Munich was 50 Euros in a very good Italian (Friulana, near the Oktoberfest site).

Normal German fare there worked out at 20 Euros for two. I�m not doubting you could pay 80 Euros for two in Munich, but you�d pay that at any high-class place in Germany.

I�ll have to take your word for it about parking. Also not being funny, but how many teachers have cars? A huge plus for German cities is that most people don�t really need a car.

My East-is-best problem is mainly with everyday expenses. Supermarkets and utilities charge the same wherever. Munich�s accommodation is crazy, but the gist is that you�ll pay 100 to 200 Euros a month more on a place, big deal � That works out at about one Euro an hour difference on an average monthly income.

But then schools in Halle and such places go on paying 12 Euros an hour, and people still travel over to work for such crap when they would get more working at the same chain in somewhere like Bangkok.
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hod

You have mentioned some good points there.

You're right about the fact that language schools (not chain schools) in the eastern part of Germany pay significantly less than in other areas. That's why many teachers have to teach up to 35 hours a week to get by. The trick over here is to find employers which pay a similar rate to 'western' standards. If you can actually find such companies, life is cheaper in the 'East'.

Quote:
the gist is that you�ll pay 100 to 200 Euros a month more on a place in Munich

Well, that might be true when you compare rents with Leipzig or Dresden, yet in Magdeburg rents are astonishingly low.
I live in a nice, fully furnished, two bedroom apartment in a decent area which costs me 350 Euros warm.
TexasinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sans

I think I need to look for work in Magdeburg, trying to find a teaching position in Leipzig for entry level work..is like "looking for a needle in a haystack" Although, I have to admit...there may be more to do in Leipzig...(parks, kinos, disco) than Magdeburg...

Hopefully, I can secure employment in Leipzig soon..

-Texas
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Magdeburg any time. I can't stand all those "Schikimikis" in Munich !
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Give me Magdeburg any time. I can't stand all those "Schikimikis" in Munich!

I couldn't have said it any better!

@Texas
Yes, there is more to do in Leipzig than in Magdeburg. However both cities have improved very much over the last ten years and I'm sure you'd be happy in either one.

I find it hard to believe that entry level work is scarce in Leipzig. Nearly all the 'famous' chain schools (Berlitz, Inlingua, Linguarama, Accelingua,...) have positions just waiting to be filled.

Check out this website if you are interested in a decent position: http://www.united-languages.de/en/index.php?stellenangebote
TexasinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you guys lost me on this one... What are "Schikimikis" ??
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Schikimiki' is a German expression for people who think they are too beautiful, too well dressed, and much too good for this world.

So not really the ones you want to become friends with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: