Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinjinrui33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Professional Questions Reply with quote

Hello�I am interested in teaching at a university in the Middle East beginning in August 2009. I have read many posts from the forums and would like more information in order to better discern the differences between some of the various countries. I will post this entry in forums for the various countries I am interested in and then compare the responses. As each position and school inevitably differs in its offerings, desired methodology, and positive/negative areas, I thought I should restrict my inquiries into more generalized topics. (For reference, if needed, I am an American with a Masters degree in Applied Linguistics with 6-7 years of teaching experience in Japan, China, and South Korea � mostly at university, but also have taught adults and children).

Teachers
What is the general teaching load in this country at the university level?

Are there in-service training and/or professional development opportunities generally available for the teachers?

Are schools/current teachers generally open to change and new ideas?

Students
What are the average students expectation of foreign teachers/English programs?

Are the students generally a homogeneous or heterogeneous group?

What is the favored (typical) learning approach�the approach the students are used to experiencing in an everyday classroom?

How much time will students actually spend on SLL?

Society
What is the general societal view of SLL/ESL? Is it supported? Resisted? Indifference?

Are there outside resources (English TV, radio, newspapers) that support SLL efforts?

Are professional organizations available to foreign teachers?

As I understand more about the learning situation of each country I can begin asking more detailed information about specific schools, programs, and daily life. So, any of the above information that you could provide insight on would be greatly appreciated!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Socratic Reply with quote

Let me ask a Socratic Question. Why do you suppose you have zero answers to your inquiries ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Let me hazard a Socratic Answer: far too many questions, all of which are way too general.
Do I get a passing grade?
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
You got it
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
You got it
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Professional Questions Reply with quote

shinjinrui33 wrote:
Hello�I am interested in teaching at a university in the Middle East beginning in August 2009. I have read many posts from the forums and would like more information in order to better discern the differences between some of the various countries. I will post this entry in forums for the various countries I am interested in and then compare the responses. As each position and school inevitably differs in its offerings, desired methodology, and positive/negative areas, I thought I should restrict my inquiries into more generalized topics. (For reference, if needed, I am an American with a Masters degree in Applied Linguistics with 6-7 years of teaching experience in Japan, China, and South Korea � mostly at university, but also have taught adults and children).

As another NOVA-alum, allow me:

Teachers
What is the general teaching load in this country at the university level?

Typically, one-on-one is the preferred load.

Are there in-service training and/or professional development opportunities generally available for the teachers?

Outside of belly-button contemplation...no.

Are schools/current teachers generally open to change and new ideas?

They will be in 2010, but since it's 1430H, they've got loads of time to reconsider.

Students
What are the average students expectation of foreign teachers/English programs?

For teachers to let them eat and drink in the classrooms to the point of choking and to freely recieve and respond to calls on their mobiles.

Are the students generally a homogeneous or heterogeneous group?

Are you kidding??? It's legal to marry your 1st cousin here! YOU do the math(s)!

What is the favored (typical) learning approach�the approach the students are used to experiencing in an everyday classroom?

Bending to their will or facing repatriation to Jordan, Egypt, et al.

How much time will students actually spend on SLL?

Ahem, I believe the correct term is .dll.

Society
What is the general societal view of SLL/ESL? Is it supported? Resisted? Indifference?

These people cleave to cutting edge teaching practices..you just try to separate these folk from their principles!

Are there outside resources (English TV, radio, newspapers) that support SLL efforts?

The BBC and the British Council (surprisingly, I'm serious about this...those folk are really serious at promoting their variety!).

Are professional organizations available to foreign teachers?

I hear that "Toastmasters Anonymous" are on the rise!

As I understand more about the learning situation of each country I can begin asking more detailed information about specific schools, programs, and daily life. So, any of the above information that you could provide insight on would be greatly appreciated!

On a slightly, more serious note, focus your efforts and try not to make the busy people in this area do your homework for you, it's hard enough to get our students to do it!

NCTBA- Happy New Year, y'all!!!
shinjinrui33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just figured start general and then get specific, rather than the opposite. If people don't want to share their information, that's fine. I know some will say the information is on the board and just needs to be ferreted out...well, some of it, but a many of these 'answers' are several years old and may not still be relevant.

I've received quite a few replies by PM, so it's okay if no one is posting here as I have found the answers I was looking for.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classy response. I apologize on having fun at your expense. Good luck in your future.

NCTBA Embarassed
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Professional" ? I thought this was an ESL board !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: