Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The BKK Situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
struelle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: The BKK Situation Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was recently in BKK doing my CELTA, but had such a great time that I kept wanting to go back. I'd be interested in something for next Sept '04, preferably language school jobs with adults. However I read and hear various rumors that the TEFL situation is on a downward track in Thailand. Can anyone elaborate on how and why this is? I have other options, but the lifestyle in Bangkok and Thailand is ideal that I'd like to try teaching there.

Steve
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see Steve, no one is really interested in even discussing teaching in Thailand. Laughing

If you go to the Job Information Journal on this site
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?Thailand
you can read numerous negative comments on the teaching situation in Thailand like "Thailand is unlivable. Many are leaving...", "Thrown in the towel: enough is enough!" and "Thailand, on the edge of the abyss".

I'll take the time to summarize the problems here:

1) LOW LOW LOW salaries. How many times do people have to spell it out here and on various other websites? Teaching salaries are LOW in Thailand.

2) The cost of living is constantly rising. Living in Thailand is no longer dirt-cheap unless you don't really expect much from life.

3) Visa and work permit fees have also been raised.

4) New visa regulations which will come into effect next year are not clear but seem to involve maintaining a large bank account and paying increased taxes. No one is really sure of the exact details or how this will affect teachers that hardly make much money anyway.

5) Numerous other regulations, crackdowns and campaigns have made living in Thailand a lot less fun. And being a long-term resident in Thailand is nothing like visiting as a tourist or short-term resident.
struelle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll take the time to summarize the problems here:

Thanks for your time and information. This dovetails with what I read elsewhere.

Quote:
5) Numerous other regulations, crackdowns and campaigns have made living in Thailand a lot less fun.

This is the impression I got when I was there last summer. Seeing the visa fees quadruple was a real shock, which may be part of the other campaigns going on.

Doesn't look so promising for teaching. Well, I'll still travel there Smile

Steve
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doesn't look so promising for teaching. Well, I'll still travel there

Yes, I would also still recommend Thailand as a holiday destination, especially if you've got a fat wallet from working somewhere else. Wink
struelle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I would also still recommend Thailand as a holiday destination, especially if you've got a fat wallet from working somewhere else. Wink

True, but I detest the typical idea of travel where you take a 'holiday' and then be a 'tourist' in another place before you go back 'home'. I prefer the pilgrimage idea more, that is blend work and life together and make a contribution to the culture.

On that note, if I traveled later on, it would be for an extended period of time and I may consider studying in Thailand in future.

Steve
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Thai ? Reply with quote

Saudi Arabia is full of guys who tried to make it in Thailand and tired of living on the slim pickings available there.

In our institution there is a whole community of western teachers with Thai wives. Most of them have tried it in Thailand and decided it is better to earn in Saudi and spend in Thailand.

Economics 101.
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However I read and hear various rumors that the TEFL situation is on a downward track in Thailand.

Bloody hell... why didn't someone tell me about this? Time to pack up and bugger off, I reckon! Shocked Laughing Wink

www.rubberbuckets/tint
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: