Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How easy is it to pickup a new language while teaching eng?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, teaching English isn-t the best way to learn a language. YOu-ll be in an English environment at work. Best to try to take language courses. Or find a person to exchange English for the language you want to learn

And fluency is hard to achieve. I teach English, but get spoken to in Spanish by students and on the street, and use Spanish at home. After 14 years of using the language, I still don-t consider myself fluent and doubt I ever will be.
tedkarma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
And fluency is hard to achieve. I teach English, but get spoken to in Spanish by students and on the street, and use Spanish at home. After 14 years of using the language, I still don-t consider myself fluent and doubt I ever will be.

Good points from naturegirl.

A good friend of mine is an Iraqi working in Saudi Arabia for the last 20+ years. He has a Ph.D in linguistics/TESOL of some sort - and he was as close to being fluent as anyone I have ever met - after teaching English for 20 years and working hand in hand with native speakers for all of that time.

Yet . . . he still would often ask questions about quite simple things. He, for example - in all that time had never heard the word "dais" (for the raised platform a speaker stands on) and other similar terms. He tried quite hard as he really did enjoy learning. But naturegirl's point is important - at what point do you consider yourself fluent - and can you ever really get there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: