Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'd like to travel with my wife

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentlemanjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: I'd like to travel with my wife Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm a Canadian citizen,aged 52, with a BFA in music, a recent TEFL certification, lots of varied life and work experience, a bit of teaching experience but not much and some first-hand knowledge of business, among other things. I want to teach in a place where my wife can accompany me. We are okay for cash so I'm not concerned about saving as much as having a positive cultural and teaching experience.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tell us about your wife!

(Not just being friendly, probably makes a difference in the recommendations)

What can/does/would she do?

You'll find that many, if not most places are places that you can go with your spouse- but some places are much easier than others for a spouse to survive and thrive.

Also in most, it's not too easy to support a spouse on a teacher's salary.

Best,
Justin
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Justin in that, if you aren't concerned with supporting your spouse, there are more options open. But you'll need also to consider language skills - it can be pretty lonely to live in a place where you can't communicate directly with the locals.
Gentlemanjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Hi Justin! Reply with quote

My wife is a visual artist and she could work practically anywhere with some decent light. She speaks English quite well but it's not her first language so the one thing she couldn't do, I guess, is teach English. She taught singing for fifteen years. Maybe she could teach music or art? In English or French ,which is her first language. She cooks divinely and we live very frugally and can do quite well with very little. One requirement is access to decent coffee. Gotta have that coffee!

Does this give you a better idea?

Thanks
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than any visa restrictions, what is holding you back from applying to most countries? Pick one.

Here in Japan, you could get work teaching, and she could come on a dependent visa (for starters, anyway). The DV would let her work PT with special permission, and if she wanted to convert the DV to a regular work visa, she would have to meet the visa requirements (usually a degree or a certain minimum number of years of work experience, 5-10).
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html

She could also come on a student visa if she wanted to enroll somewhere here, or she could come on a cultural visa if she wanted to study some craft under a master. Same work options apply as for DV.

You could even do it in reverse. That is, she could be the one to land a job and work visa, and you could tag along on the DV until you found a job.

Or both of you could come as tourists and look for work for 90 days, then get your visas (status of residence, actually) after you get hired.

Don't know about other countries.
Gentlemanjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: to spiral78 Reply with quote

But you'll need also to consider language skills - it can be pretty lonely to live in a place where you can't communicate directly with the locals.[/quote]

I appreciate that fact. My wife is fluent in French, English and Italian and I am fluent in French and have some Spanish so we've got a few bases covered.

Thanks for the response.
Gentlemanjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: reply to Glenski Reply with quote

Hi Glenski,

Actually, I'm applying all over but I have a leaning towards Europe and I keep hearing how difficult it is for non-EU passport holders to land a job there. That doesn't mean, of course, that I have given up. Just trying to keep my options open. Thanks for the panoply of solutions for Japan. You obviously have some experience in these issues.

Have any ideas about Europe? Anybody?

Good day

G
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 knows a lot about Europe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: