Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting into Prescott?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanja-ja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Getting into Prescott? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
first-time post though i've been lurking for a long time..

I've decided to go ahead with my big adventure, and am in need of advice.
I haven't been to South-America yet, so preparing to work somewhere in SA is a bit like walking in the dark. What kind of country would I prefer?
I liked Guatemala a lot for instance, friendly people, beautiful scenery and a bit of danger sometimes Smile
I hope Peru will turn out similarly in those aspects (could do without the danger though!) I'm still on the fence as to which city I'd like to work in.
I'd like a fairly big city (but not a capital), loads of young people, students.. laidback atmosphere, decent nightlife & warm climate.
From what I've heard, I think Arequipa would suit me well, but of course I can't be sure. What's the vibe in this city like?

I've heard of Prescott in Arequipa and would like to know what my chances are of securing a job there. My credentials:

I'm a certified English teacher: BA in English Teaching at University of Rotterdam, Netherlands. So I'm not a native speaker but have native/near-native level of speaking and pronunciation (RP). I have 3.5 years of experience teaching English to pupils of 12-18. I've also taught a lot of private classes. I'm 29 years old (30 by then ) and available for at least a year.

Does Prescott require long-term commitments?
What do they pay? Will they arrange a visa?
I'd be arriving in either December or January to arrange a job, then go off to travel a few months and be back in time for the start of first term in March. What day in March does the first term usually start?
Which is more convenient for landing a job; arriving in Dec or Jan?
Do they hire overseas?

Any other tips or tricks would be most welcome.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Prescott is THE school in Arequipa. You'll need to commit at least a year, possibly two. You'll need at least a BA, probably a teaching license.

It's very nice in Arequipa, high in the mountains at the base of a volcano. Breezy and sunny.

Have you taught in schools?

You might as well apply. The only thing that could go against you would be not being a native speaker.

Pay is probably between 900 and 2000 usd a month. They'll get a visa. You'll get flights, partial health insurance, maybe taxes paid, about 15 salaries a year. School starts the first Monday of march. they should hire overseas, check with intl recruiting fairs. If not, try emailing or calling them. if you'll be here in Jan, then try knocking on their door.

Good luck
nanja-ja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help!
I don't think those international job fairs are held in the Netherlands, and I'm not willing to travel to the US just for that.

I have taught at two schools, both regular high schools, so plenty of experience there, and I do indeed have a BA in teaching English.

I will email them, certainly. It's just frustrating that the website's showing no useful information at all.. all pages show errors. I assume that's not just my computer, right?

How do I make them pay taxes?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me see about the contact info. Go here and you can get this
http://www.prescott.edu.pe/guia/index.php?option=com_contact&catid=12&Itemid=3. Click on the names, and you can email them.

Jimena D�az Directora 051-54-232540 051-54-232507
Cecilia Corpancho Gerente Administrativo 051-54-232540 051-54-232507
Virginia Rosas Secretar�a 051-54-213919 051-54-232507

YOu go to Institucion, which is at the top left. and then on the left, click contactanos

As for taxes, just ask if they pay. If they won-t it-s about 30 percent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: