Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American School of Alexandria
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: American School of Alexandria Reply with quote

I'm currently being recruited by them (I don't know how they got my email, maybe I sent them my CV a while ago). I've seen their website and was wondering if anyone could tell me some info about them: classes, teachers, pay, etc.
nstick13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too have heard from them, and I have not sent a CV to anyone.

The website looks nice and the school sounds good. I'm afraid I'll end up unqualified to teach there, but I did e-mail the woman back with a resume. We'll see. I lose nothing by sending an e-mail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jsut figured I might as well send my CV, I've got 6 years experience , certs, dips, and almost an MA. I haven't heard back from the woman. And am intersted in the salary and benefits.

If you sent your resume, then that's good. For basic purposes a CV is the same as a resume.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard back from the man. Asking me when I was free for an interivew. I told him, but have yet to have the interview.
nstick13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just e-mailed her (pretty sure it's a her) again just so I stayed in their inbox, though I'm not expecting a lot.

Good luck, nature!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nstick13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates, naturegirl?

I haven't heard anything from them Sad but am not very surprised. I didn't expect to, but it would've been neat to get lucky
ayrsbre

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called them this morning to ask if they were still recruiting, and the answer was yes.
I emailed the headmistress whilst I was on the phone talking to her.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is rather old but in case anyone is still interested in this school......

The reliable word is this school offers foreign teachers a salary that almost falls into the too-good-to-be-true category, particularly for local hires. Even better, they do (according to my reliable source) pay as promised and on time. I had previously heard differntly but, as happens, there's always at least two sides to every story.

So, for those of you who might want to give Egypt a try, it seems to be worth it financially. As happens in Egypt, do not expect airfare, return trips home, etc., etc., etc., because those are rarely on offer. However, the local hire salary from this particular school is more than enough to live a quite cozy lifestyle.

In fact, if my own salary isn't raised as I expect it should be when my contract completes at the end of this month, I will be dashing on over there to see if they have room for me because I'm earning less than half of what they're paying their foreign teachers.

So, yeah, if you're interested the 2009-2010 academic year should start after Ramadan (the last part of September).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcolleen wrote:
The reliable word is this school offers foreign teachers a salary that almost falls into the too-good-to-be-true category, particularly for local hires. Even better, they do (according to my reliable source) pay as promised and on time.

And what is this number?

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
justcolleen wrote:
The reliable word is this school offers foreign teachers a salary that almost falls into the too-good-to-be-true category, particularly for local hires. Even better, they do (according to my reliable source) pay as promised and on time.

And what is this number?

VS

"Putting it out there" and telling the world, who can do the math, what my own salary is, here goes:

Unreliable source: 5000 LE
Reliable source: 8000 LE

Unreliable source, word is, had issues with salary because of reasons other than it not being available (something about wanting to be paid in US dollars). I saw reliable source's contract. Reliable source swears pay day passed and paid as promised.

Note: No, I don't make a monsterous salary, however there are other reasons I stay at my school, one of them being big love - I have extremely supportive owners. Like I said, my contract is up for negotiation at the end of this month and, since I know what's on offer for foreign teachers coming in the fall, and because my owner promised he wouldn't pay teachers more than he pays me (I know, I know...), I'm expecting a hefty increase. If not, then I'll assume the love isn't as big as I'm hoping and I'll start shopping for another schooll.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcolleen wrote:
...one of them being big love...

So, you're a Mormon, I take it? Laughing

NCTBA
nstick13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that they pay well and on time, etc. They had a recruiter who was actually in the states, something I haven't heard of as I've been researching Egyptian schools, and something I can't imagine is that cheap. I sent my measly CV to them, but did not hear back. If they're reading this, I'm still coming this fall, and would gladly work in Alex Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcolleen wrote:
justcolleen wrote:

Unreliable source: 5000 LE
Reliable source: 8000 LE

So, at current exchange that would be US$890 - 1400...

Not grand, but acceptable if one knows how to live on the local economy. But, unless they are offering benefits like housing, tickets, etc... it wouldn't be acceptable as foreign hire if someone has credentials and experience.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my research that would be fine to live in Alex, unless you wanted a view of the water.

I'm hoping to get 5000 LE/month in Cairo with a hot CELTA. I think that would be livable, especially when sharing rent.

And, although I've never seen the show, I liked the joke NCTBA.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cairo pays higher than Alexandria.
Hurghada pays higher than Cairo.
Sharm pays higher than Hurghada.

The (respective) cost of living rises with the location. I met a teacher who claimed she was earning 15,000 LE in Sharm. She was floored that she couldn't get the same salary in Alexandria. The owner and I briefly considered opening a branch in Sharm - just because we know there would have to be fees to cover that kind of salary and provide a profit.

Methinks 5000 LE should be EASY to get in Cairo simply because you're American and have a pulse. The higher salary will come if you shop yourself around prior to completing your program, saying, "I came to Egypt for educational purposes and I think I want to stay here and teach, but I'm not sure." If you're the slightest bit sure you want to stay, you're obviously hooked and there's no need to lure you with a higher salary.

Cairo is hotter than Alexandria, more crowded, more expensive, dirtier, smoggier, and much harder to get around. However, Cairo doesn't have the staring problem Alexandria does. We all have to choose our battles.

International schools (American, British, Canadian, etc.) are constantly hiring because of the preference for foreign teachers over locals. An owner will happily give a foreign face a class and let the local teacher sit in the staff room because it makes the parents, who are paying the private school tuition, happy. Honestly, as an administrator, foreign teachers make me happier, too, because I don't get the passive-aggressive behavior or the "I can't" attitude from them. I don't have to drag foreign teachers out of the staff room to go teach their classes or resort to writing them up to get them to plan lessons, either. That has value in and of itself, value worth paying for. So send them your CV again. The salary is worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: