Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I go to Cambodia or Laos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steiner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Should I go to Cambodia or Laos? Reply with quote

Hello, I'd like your advice on some travel plans. This is an either/or question.

I'm going to be in Bangkok over Spring Festival, but I have a spare week Very Happy to use travelling somewhere else. Right now the decision is whether to go to Cambodia or to Laos. If Laos, I'd take a train to Nong Khai, Thailand, and then cross by bus to Vientiane, Laos, and spend the five days or so just bumming around Vientiane and surrounding areas. If I go to Cambodia I'd take a bus from Bangkok to the Cambodian border (at Poipet) and then make our way to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat and spend my week there.

Have any of you been to either place? Has anyone gone there like we're considering--overland? If you were deciding, which would you do?

Thanks for the help!
NumberOneSon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I go to Cambodia or Laos? Reply with quote

Haven't been to Laos or Cambodia, but I've been to Nong Khai.

It's just a sleepy little town on the Mekong, but if you go be
sure to visit the park (Sala Kaeo Ku) with all the weird giant
statues.
Deborann

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Cambodia Reply with quote

I haven't been to Laos, but spent a week in Cambodia - 2 days in PP and the remainder at Angkor. Angkor was an amazing experience. I hired a tuk-tuk for the days I was there, and the driver (who looked EXACTLY like the carvings at Bayon) picked me up each morning and we went exploring. The temples and the history behind them blew my mind. The work was incredible.

In PP I either walked or hired a moto and explored - again a good experience.

No comments on how to get there - I flew from Vietnam to PP, took the boat to Siem Reap, flew back to PP, and on to Thailand.

Have a good holiday.
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: I've been to Laos. Reply with quote

Hola!

How much is your plane ticket to Thailand? I want to go! Now is a good time to go weatherwise, it is cool outside and not rainy.

I went to Laos last summer for a week. I started in Vientiane. Vientiane is a small city, and on the first day I rented a small motorbike for 5 USD. The city is small and after driving for about 2 hours (or less) one knows the layout of the city. The beer is called Lao Beer, which is very good, but there is no nightlife which to speak of. The government makes the bars close at 2330 every night. Ask about that motorbike rental. Then you can see the Mekong River, That Luang monestary, and the Arch of Triumph, which was built using American concrete during the Vietnam war. If you travel with a friend, there is a nice outside beer garden type place. Again, drink the Lao beer. It is very, very good.

Lao is the opposite of China. Few people live there. It has the lowest density of people in Asia. The people are decent and most of them speak some English. Lao people also make baugettes (from the French times) and the foreign food is delicious. People there spoke good English, so no problems there. If you pick up a few words of Thai, you can say them in Laos and they woill understand you. I know:

Hello-Saibai Dee and Thank You-Kop Die (as in COP DIE!)

If you go to Lao, use your Thai Bhat or USD if you have any. They will hapily accept both. The Lao money is called the KIP, and the exchange rate for KIP stands at about 10,000=1 USD. The biggest KIP is the 20,000 KIP bill which is worth about 2 USD or 16 RMB. Thats the BIGGEST bill there is. I sold a bank 100 USD and got some much kip back, I put it in my travel bag. A can of soda is about 5000 kip, that I remember. Taxis were more expensive, but not too bad.

The bus station is at a market, near the Arch of Triumph (you wont miss it). I went to a place called Vang Vieng for a couple of days, which is about 2 hours north of the capital. Vang Vieng had a lot of tourists, mainly Israeli and English.

If you are interested in Buddhism, opium/and or marijuana, Laos is for you. There is the "Plain of Jars" and a historical place called Laung Prabhang which maybe is worth a look. I just went to Vang Vieng, unscrewed my brain a couple of times, was bored and went home. I also missed my wife. Communication from Lao to China is expensive and it sucks. I called my wife once, the connection was bad and it cost my about 5 USD, and of course, my Chinese cell would not work.

Probably this summer, I will take a trip starting from Bangkok to Pattaya, then Chaing Mai to the north, then go over to Vientiane, Laos, take the bus to Vang Vieng, then go to Laung Prahbang then cross the Chinese border at Mohe (Yunnan), then take the train from there to Kunming, then fly home to Hangzhou.

If you are an American, no visa is required for Thailand, just go. Laos requires a visa, but I have read on the internet that one can be obtained at certain border crossings and at the Wattay Airport in Vientiane. If you go to Lao, just go to a consulate in BKK or another city. I'm itching for another trip, but I have only one more exit on my visa.

Verdict:
The Dude loves Laos (but he's high all the time)
The Senor found it to be Mamahuhu.

SENOR
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about lowest density in Asia? Lower than Mongolia?

Maybe you mean SE Asia...
Steiner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor, Deborann, and even you, NumberOneSon, thanks. It's a tough decision and I think I may try to do both--spend less time in Bangkok, go to Angkor, and then fly up to Vientiane before heading back south by train to a Thai beach.

If anyone decides to go to Cambodia overland from Thailand, be sure to check out http://www.talesofasia.com.
struelle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I've been to Laos. Reply with quote

Quote:
How much is your plane ticket to Thailand? I want to go! Now is a good time to go weatherwise, it is cool outside and not rainy.

Count me in too. Next year after summer I'm thinking of an extended trip to Thailand and also Cambodia. The thought of warm weather is just too nice at this time of year.

Steve
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steiner,

You can travel from Bangkok to siem reap, as im sure you know, in a day. It is a memorable journey-- I did it in the Spring of 98, the week that Pol Pot died. its cheaper than flying and more exciting.
Also,
You can now enter Laos from the Cambodian side of the mekong. If pressed for time you can even bypass Phnom Penh (which is not very tourist worthy anyway; it takes months to appreciate it) go to K Cham from S Reap, travel up the Mekong to Kratie, and be in Laos in a matter of days.
Whatever you do, be sure to get out into the villages in the countryside.
bon voyage! Wish i was coming along too!
kh
Very Happy
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: How much is this trip going to cost????????????????????????? Reply with quote

Some questions,

How much is this trip going to cost? I want to do the exact trip soon. Flightds, hotel rooms, all that jazz.

How are you going to exchange your RMB into Thai Bhat, or possibly Cambodian riel and Laos Kip? I had some USD when I went to Laos.

On my Z visa, I paid for 2 exits, and I burned one going to Laos. How much would I have to pay for an unlimited visa, or a re-entry visa?

SENOR
Steiner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip is costing quite a bit, but we've been blessed with the funds. I'm not planning on using RMB, I'll use my ATM/credit card in Thailand to withdraw funds from a U.S. account. Flight from Changsha to Bangkok and then back to Hong Kong is about U.S. 350. It'd be a lot cheaper if I wanted to take a train to Guangzhou or HK, but I don't. I'm not doing the total budget thing in Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos--I'll stay in $15 a night places instead of $5 a night places. If you're worried about money there are plenty of dorm rooms around. Add in visas and travel in-country, that can be a lot more or a little more depending on whether you like to go really slowly and uncomfortably or not. You can get from Bangkok to Angkor for about $5 or $6 but it's miserable and takes all day. You can get there faster but it'll cost more of course. All this is hearsay. Most of my info on how to get around has come from http://www.talesofasia.com and the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree. If you want to know how much we spent, PM me in February.

I've got no idea about the Z visa. I've got an unlimited reentry visa but the school paid for it.
Slim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X

Last edited by Slim Pickens on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Minhang Oz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my query on this thread regarding the possibility of overland travel Kunming to Laos got nuked too. WTF is happening in this place?
Steiner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim Pickens wrote:
Welcome to the Cambodia/Laos Forum.

Cambodia/Laos, Cambodia/Laos, Cambodia/Laos. It's so wonderful. Twisted Evil

Wink
Well, at least one person on the forum has the good sense and good taste to keep their pet love contained in one thread. But maybe when I get back I will start posting on ALL the threads about how wonderful it is and how you are all losers because you have decided to live and work elsewhere. And how you are all so jealous of me, which is why you're saying anything contrary to what I'm telling you. Would you like that? Very Happy
ToraGal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: i loved both Reply with quote

hi there, thought Id add- i loved both i really did- the people there are equally as nice- i ended spending more time in Laos, just because i fell in love with Luang Prabang spent 10 days there- the town is nice a chill, good eatsm a nice night market- the locals were great!

Cambodias Angor Wat was the most amazing thing ive seen in my whole life- i was completely overwhelmed by it. Once you see it, no other temple will ever compare... it has to seen in person to be appreciated.

good luck
StephPoet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment about the marijuana and opium (referenced in an earlier post): it's not a smart idea to get involved in drugs abroad, let alone in Asian countries. I don't see why Laos would be an exception...unless someone has information?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: