Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bullying
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mesquite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Bullying Reply with quote

Why is it some heads and colleagues seem to think bullying, either overtly or covertly, is the way to manage staff? Surely there are better ways to deal with personnel. Overt bullying in the form of humiliation (both public and private) should be a no-go area, particularly when students are witnesses to the bullying. How tacky can you get!!!! Covert, behind your back bullying, is another sneaky tactic some managers and colleagues seem to enjoy. Why can't people be more up front and respectful to their colleagues? It seems to me that bullying is becoming a big problem. From my experience, people sometimes let power go to their heads; maybe it makes them feel big. But in fact it shows just how small they really are. Bullying just drives teachers away; good teachers -those who can afford to- leave; others have no choice but to put up with it.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right, Mesquite. There are way too many bullies around in education,
particulary in administration. It'very weird how some people power trip
after getting promoted and use their new authority to 'put people in their place'. They
lose the human touch and become admin robots gone bad. I've worked with some real nasty types,
some who don't give a sh-t, and some plain old good folk. I vote for the good folk. They're
the ones you can trust. When you have an element of trust with your management, when you know they don't play
games or connive in secret, then you have a fairly good work environment. With the
connivers and controlers, you have to be very careful. They are mad, bad and dangerous to
know, never mind work with.

This nice little (edited) piece by Linda Starr says it all.

Educators let others know they care.
Bullies let others know who's boss.

Educators teach self-control.
Bullies exert their own control.

Educators set ironclad expectations.
Bullies rule with whims of steel.

Educators diffuse minor disruptions with humor.
Bullies use sarcasm to turn disruptions into confrontations.

Educators privately counsel chronic problems.
Bullies publicly humiliate.

Educators are judicious
Bullies are judgmental.

Educators, aware of the power they wield choose their words and actions carefully.
Bullies wield their power recklessly, frequently resorting to anger and intimidation.

Educators help others feel successful.
Bullies punish others for being unsuccessful ( in their view)

Educators treat everyone with respect.
Bullies make it clear that not everyone deserves respect.

Educators highlight good behavior.
Bullies make examples of poor behavior.

Educators are proactive; they create healthy environments.
Bullies are reactive; they blame others for their own faults.

Educators educate.
Bullies humiliate.

Educators exude confidence in their ability to maintain a healthy environment.
Bullies barely conceal their terror of losing control.

http://www.stopbullyingnow.com/bullying%20by%20teachers.htm

http://www.educationworld.com/a_issues/starr/starr056.shtml

Last edited by wilberforce on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 pm; edited 10 times in total
jdl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can an individual do in such a situation? What action can an individual take to help improve the culture of the workplace? What small personal principled action applied consistently will improve the tone and climate of the workplace. Surely an individual can make a difference.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullies should be held accountable. Back in the States, a lot of places are putting bullies in the pen where they belong. If you feel you've been bullied you can lodge a formal complaint. Too often, however, there are negative repercussions for the person who makes the complaint. Nevertheless, more schools are coming to term with teacher and management bullying and dealing with it. Our new prez does not tolerate bullying so let's hope the example he's setting filters down.
stickleback

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree It's time more institutions addressed the problem of management bullying. It is absolutely disgraceful. Nothing justifies management bullying either overtly or covertly. Insidious covert bullying is degrading. Cultivating a culture of fear through bullying and intimidation is very unhealthy and demoralizing. It makes teachers feel uncomfortable and unhappy. I used to work for a man who uses intimidation to control and manipulate teachers. This is done with a monitoring and recording system; the man thinks this is how to manage a department. The man keeps check lists of everything the teachers do. This demonstrates a complete lack of respect and trust. The man uses a spy system of supervisors and other teachers to file reports on everything the teachers do� whether they attend meetings, classes, PD, office hours, even how you invigilate exams! Everything they do is monitored, nothing escapes his attention. The lists go into your file for future ammunition. This is how the man misguidedly thinks a department should be run resulting in absolute control. The man never communicates with directly his staff but uses his underlings to send messages. This keeps him in the background. This invidious system has created a very unhealthy atmosphere, nobody knows who you can trust and who you can't. I celebrated the day I gave my resignation, it was relief to extract myself and move on to a place where I feel appreciated and valued instead of being put under the microscope.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty business keeping check lists. The problem is some people need their jobs and have to put up with all this crock. There are one or two managent bullies where I work but for the most part people either ignore them or do what they're told. I agree it's demeaning to work in a place with checklists. At least all we do here is punch in and punch out.
jdl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first step is always to identify the problem; which we have done quite well. So now, what can we lowly teachers who suffer in this culture actually to to help improve our situation. Leave, complain, cyber bully? There must be some ideas out there that a proactive teacher or group of teachers can use to help improve the work culture? Can we become teachers to our supervisors?
jdl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first step is always to identify the problem; which we have done quite well. So now, what can we lowly teachers who suffer in this culture actually to to help improve our situation. Leave, complain, cyber bully? There must be some ideas out there that a proactive teacher or group of teachers can use to help improve the work culture? Can we become teachers to our supervisors?
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong in keeping staff in their place.

Teachers need to be controlled.
NASA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a bully and believe me it's no fun. We are hounded every day.
The school is supposed to be non profit but the owner is out to make money. Checklists galore!! I am resigning and so are about ten other teachers. The only reason we're still here is because of the kids. Managing is definitely not about control. It's about communication!!
I bet your staff can't stand you, word_to_the_wise. You are totally clueless. Teaching is an honorable profession and we shouldn't be exploited, taken for granted, controled or spied upon.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for a bully once. Actually, he was a Scot, so I guess he was a "Sc-ully". I found the antidote to a bully. I resigned, went to Japan and got my Master's. That way, you stand a much better chance of NOT working for a-holes like him.

Poor fella, about a year after I left, he got down-graded and quit rather than work amongst the people that he used to sc-ully! Last I heard, he was banished to Tabuk where his family couldn't go with him. Crying or Very sad

Truly, what goes around, comes around! Eh, Dave??? Laughing

NCTBA
wilberforce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nothing wrong in keeping staff in their place.

Teachers need to be controlled

What a pity you feel this way. Do you get on with your teachers? Have you thought about your problem?

Perhaps you need some sound advice. Check out the websites and articles. You might get some ideas on how to deal with your problem.
Good luck.

http://www.socyberty.com/Advice/Are-You-a-Control-Freak.101788

What makes a Control Freak Tick?

"These are the key aspects of a Control Freak. They have a driving need to create your agenda, they insist on controlling all their interactions with you, basically, they have to run the show and call they shot - OR ELSE.
Phsycologists call this a personality disorder, and all though you might not find a specific disease named for these poor freaks, their characteristics can often be found in perfectionists and workaholics, and it is considered to be an Obessesive Compulsive Disorder. They have an inability to trust or make commitments because they fear that someone might notice they are not perfect.

Control freaks ultimate fear is that if they lose control of themselves, their relationships, or anything or anyone around them, that they will be vulnerable. They believe that they can protect themselves if they have this control. They feel the urge to control to new heights, and when they have finally caused the people they are trying to control the stress that they are feeling, they feel a sense of order. These people are riddled with fear, anxiety, insecurity, and anger to amounts at which they cannot control. Underneath that controlled attitude is a mountain of unhappiness
It has been found, that the main need to control is driven by anxiety, though a Control Freak would never recognize this, and even if they did, they would deny it. At work, they worry about failure. In their relationship they dread that they will not have their needs met, or that they will not be good enough. In order to keep this anxiety from overwhelming them, they feel they only way to avoid feeling those emotions is to control the people or things around them. They have a harder time than most normal people when it comes to negotiating or compromising, because it would mean they would have to give up some of their control, and it would also implicate that they are not perfect, and Control Freaks H-A-T-E imperfection. If you can't tell, or don't know already, this can make them hard to live with. Whether you are working with them, living with them, or just plain stuck in a circle that involves them."

http://www.ec-online.net/knowledge/Articles/control.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-a-Control-Freak
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I just got PMed over this: The man's name was NOT, I repeat NOT Dave Scully! He was a horrible, horrible bullying Scotsman.

Scully = Scot + Bully...ergo "Sc-ully". Shocked

NCTBA
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NCTBA,

Scully and Mulder - the truth is out there.

Regards,
John
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASA wrote:
I bet your staff can't stand you, word_to_the_wise. You are totally clueless. Teaching is an honorable profession and we shouldn't be exploited, taken for granted, controled or spied upon.

Seemed to have touched a nerve there. You sound like a frustrated would-be manager......desperate to leave the classroom and earn some decent cash for a change.

You're assuming that all teachers are honorable - laughable of course.

Some staff need to be controlled, otherwise they do as they please.

If you don't exploit or take the management for granted, then we won't control or spy on you.

Either you control the staffroom or it controls you.As they say.

The problem with this forum is it's written by those with no idea of the demands of management.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: