Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freelance tutoring in India again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubism

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Freelance tutoring in India again Reply with quote

I plan to return to Delhi when it's cooler -- in the fall; I haven't lived or taught away from the north, so need some advice about climate, population's interest in schools, etc.

Where do you think is a good place to set up until it's cooler?

My uni in China hasn't paid me for over a month, so am setting out for a country I've always liked. I'll try not to make the same mistakes again, the ones I've made this time in China. I think the global financial melt-down might be easier to deal with in India, too.

Thanks
rockyp44

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Free lance tutoring Reply with quote

If you get students from the International schools, you should get 1,000 minimum per hour for one on one tutoring.
Cubism

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Rocky, how do you survive in Chhenai? Reply with quote

I'm in China, and it's getting more difficult. I have a prophetic streak, too, and it doesn't seem hopeful - at least for the way I like to live (I'm quiet. I write, read, teach, play the piano, spend nothing, save my money). Are you a teacher? A regular BA or Ed.U?

Thanks. Cube
oxi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Free lance tutoring Reply with quote

rockyp44 wrote:
If you get students from the International schools, you should get 1,000 minimum per hour for one on one tutoring.

Last time I taught in India was 2006, but I thought I might chip in since there aren't so many comments.

Teaching in Delhi, many of my British Council colleagues got 1000 rupees per hour privately. But average more like 500.

I tried the same in Chennai, but no luck. Best I could get was 700. Local teachers were getting 200-250. The American International school paid US$75 dollars a day, and was pretty much the best deal, but difficult to get.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Surviving in Chennai Reply with quote

I try not to move much, cuz it's so hot, ha ha.
With the right job, you can save money. There is not a lot to do here--foreign films on weeknights, occasionally a music/dance performance sponsored by foreign consulates. Lots of Indian dance/music, of course, and it is almost always free. Living costs are lower than Mumbai/Delhi.
Cubism

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Tutoring in India 2009 Reply with quote

I decided it wasn't sensible to leave the Great Firewall just now. The financial crisis is just too real. Thank you for helping me make up my mind. Keep well, and enjoy!

Cube
Cal_Ger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What uni in China are you talking about? The information may prevent some unfortunate teacher from making a similar mistake.
Dunkeld

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Teach in India. Reply with quote

What about age restrictions in India? I'm 62 now and seen as well past my sell by date in China. I don't have a degree either. However a background in freelance journo/photographer/broadcasting have helped me teach in 2 middle schools, one private college and 1 university. I also taught part time at several language schools.

The annual Z visa / FE cert hassle was bad enough. But, now I have finished my time at a uni after 3 semesters and I have had enough of the red tape here. I'm British, with around 7 years teaching experience. Any advice about India would be most welcome.
Cubism

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: 2012 Free lancing in India Reply with quote

Namaste. Are you still around somewhere? If you're in another country, that's cool.

Your advice was good, so keep in touch. I'll either go back to India in July 2012 or 2013, depending on Chinese govt. whims.

Keep in touch! Thanks, Cubism

[quote="oxi"][quote="rockyp44"]If you get students from the International schools, you should get 1,000 minimum per hour for one on one tutoring.[/quote]

Last time I taught in India was 2006, but I thought I might chip in since there aren't so many comments.

Teaching in Delhi, many of my British Council colleagues got 1000 rupees per hour privately. But average more like 500.

I tried the same in Chennai, but no luck. Best I could get was 700. Local teachers were getting 200-250. The American International school paid US$75 dollars a day, and was pretty much the best deal, but difficult to get.[/quote]
Cubism

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply: Unfortunate teachersWhich school? Reply with quote

Which school? So that another person won't get shafted.

If you make enemies you'll be the one they shaft. The big lesson seems to be: don't make waves and keep your mouth shut. Expect a certain amount of rigamarole and try to look at the advantages you'll lose by making enemies. If it's too much to bear, quietly leave when the contract's over.

This is not to say that teachers aren't unfortunate a lot.

Most of the places I've worked in China have been dandy, with hoops to jump through that weren't insurmountable. It can be pretty fine, and if the town's boring enough you save money.
oxi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 Free lancing in India Reply with quote

Cubism wrote:
Namaste. Are you still around somewhere? If you're in another country, that's cool. Your advice was good, so keep in touch. I'll either go back to India in July 2012 or 2013, depending on Chinese govt. whims. Keep in touch! Thanks, Cubism

Hope all goes well.

I'm in Hong Kong now. Was in Goa for Chinese New Year, so my 'latest' news is that prices are up, eg. a room I stayed in in 2005 for 100rup a night is now 500, another was 500 now 1000. Don't know if TEFL salaries have gone up!

On the other hand, Goa is full of Russians on 3 month tourist visas having a great cheap time drinking on the beach, doing a few work hours a week over the internet to keep up with their jobs back home. One or two said they paid for a flat about 400 US$ a month, 3 big rooms, scooter included. Not bad. That kind of thing appeals, but I'm busy right now.
Cubism

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: India Reply with quote

Sounds about right. I seem to be OK for another year here, so can save more money for the higher prices.

Russians get 3 months of holidays, wow.

Delhi's about the same. (I like Delhi...) And thanks for apt. stuff. Any visa advice? (5-10 yrs used to be easy to get. Stricter now, though.)

Keep in touch.
Cubism

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: fall 2012 Affordable Apts in Delhi facts needed asap Reply with quote

I joined a group on the Net about how to live in Delhi as an expat, but these folks have big expense accounts and live in condos. Nice people but out of my league financially.

Any ideas about where to live?
Cubism

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re:where advertise for private students in Bangalore Reply with quote

[quote="oxi"][quote="rockyp44"]If you get students from the International schools, you should get 1,000 minimum per hour for one on one tutoring.[/quote]

Hi,

In Bangalore where should I advertise for privates?

Thanks

Last time I taught in India was 2006,but I thought I might chip in since there aren't so many comments.

I tried the same in Chennai, but no luck. Best I could get was 700. Local teachers were getting 200-250. The American International school paid US$75 dollars a day, and was pretty much the best deal, but difficult to get.[/quote]
oxi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Bangalore where should I advertise for privates?

Afraid I only knew about Delhi and Chennai. In Chennai, it would have been word of mouth, posters/fliers in the local area and ads in the newspapers (info from friends doing it, I was too lazy to try).

Hope you get the info you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: