Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea to Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lookingforworkinasia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suwon23 wrote:
Glenski wrote:
Suwon23 wrote:
Why in heaven's name is this not a sticky yet? We get this question all the time!
Which question? The one asking how can a person best come to Japan from Korea?

Too many variables involved, IMO.

But the follow-up questions are always the same:

"How does teaching in Japan compare to teaching in Korea, in terms of money, conditions, competitiveness, etc.?"

"How do I apply for a job; do I knock on doors or apply from North America/Europe?"

"Does the school year start at the same time? Are the hiring periods the same?"

"How much will my experience in Korea help me in my job hunt?"

"How do costs of living compare?"

And so on... I know many of these questions are already addressed in the existing stickies, but some are not.

If nothing else, it would prevent people from making a new post about it every couple of weeks. Some of the veterans here might be reluctant to give the same explanations over and over again.

Plus, it's exhausting sorting through all these threads. Something a little more comprehensive would be extremely useful.
hip-hop boy78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught in both Japan and Korea. If you're more interested in saving money then I'd recommend staying in Korea. If you're more interested in the cultural side of things and are keen on going to Japan for the experience then I'd recommend that you go there. There are differences between the countries. You'll have to pay your own rent in Japan and the cost of living is higher, though you can still save some money depending on your lifestyle. Japan is also more interesting culturally. Korea does seem to get slammed a lot but if you are lucky enough or smart enough to do your homework and land a good job, you can save quite a bit of money and have a good time there. At the end of the day, I guess it all depends on what you're looking for-lots of cold hard cash or a culturally stimulating experience.

Good luck!
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookingforworkinasia wrote:
it's exhausting sorting through all these threads. Something a little more comprehensive would be extremely useful.
We're talking about people who want to compare just one country with Japan. The Korea forum is a battlefield and should (IMO) steer people away from teaching there much of the time, so that in itself is one huge clue people should take in comparing.

But, is it really worth the FAQ's time to compile info on just one country to compare? That's essentially what people are asking. Moreover, the FAQ person is probably more in touch with Japan details than those in Korea, so how would you expect a fair comparison or description?

Go here for more info on comparing (from another source).
http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~jonb/
Suwon23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
...is it really worth the FAQ's time to compile info on just one country to compare? That's essentially what people are asking.

I think the standard of measure should be whether or not a lot of people show interest in that particular country. Korea pops up constantly; Mongolia, not to much. Adding some stuff on Korea to the FAQ, therefore, seems reasonable to me, without the necessity of adding a section on every country on Earth.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general topic of this thread is being continued here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=71099
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: