Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

housing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orly_porly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: housing Reply with quote

I have read that it is difficult to get decent accomodation in Vietnam. How hard is it to get a "nice" apartment in HCMC, with a good landlord, not too expensive ($300us/month), in a safe area? I have heard that a lot of landlords are overbearing and controlling.... is this the norm there? What process does one have to go through to obtain a place? What should I be aware of during my search? Any help is appreciated.
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an apartment in H.C.M.C. for two months in July and August last year. It was $300 U.S. per month and I had to share a kitchen with another flat but it was very clean and each day they would come in to make the bed and clean etc. It did not need cleaning every day but that did not stop them. I found accommodation (it was in District 1) very good in Vietnam. Western style bathroom. Just make sure that you get Star T.V. or some other English speaking channels as not all of them have that. You can also get your laundry done very cheaply at most places.
tiggerpoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Plenty Reply with quote

There are plenty of places to rent. You can go for a guest house where you rent just a room, including everything from AC, laundry, cable TV, breakfast, but you will have to negotiate what you want and how much. Some will give you hassle if you want to have a Vietnamese over night. You just have to ask when your negotiating. Expect to pay from 120 - 300 USD/month.

You can opt for a proper apartment or house. They usually provide less, most include furniture but you must pay for utilities (electric, water, garbage). Depending on how big it is and how much you use the AC, utilities can run you from 20 - 80 USD/month. On top of that you might want to hire a maid, from 15 - 20 USD/month. You can find some apartments that include a maid. You can find a nice apartment or house from 300 - 600 USD/month in any of the close districts: 1, 3, Binh Thanh. Some landlords can be intrusive on your privacy but most are getting more relaxed about it. If you rent a place where the landlord lives, of course they will be more intrusive but usually not to foreigners just Vietnamese. They like to judge and intimidate the Vietnamese.

There are a few ways to find housing. 1. Ask around. Hang out where a lot of expats live and eat: De Tham, Pham Ngu Lao. Many times there will be advertisements in restaurants for places to rent. 2. Rental Agents. There are a few rental agents who will help you find a place. They charge a fee, usually 10% of a months rent, which isn't much 3. Hit the streets. You can find a lot of nice places by walking down alley ways and asking. This can be more difficult if you don't know the language but you can find some very nice places for inexpensive.

Personally I prefer HCMC. Yes it can be busy and loud but you can escape that by finding an apartment or house down a quiet alley.
Micro67

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Locating Housing Reply with quote

tiggerpoo wrote:
2. Rental Agents. There are a few rental agents who will help you find a place. They charge a fee, usually 10% of a months rent, which isn't much
Generally, the renter will pay a small fee to the rental agent directly. You never know about it and ultimately pay less for having a bi-lingual person who knows whats up doing the negotiations for you.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: