Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: A few questions Reply with quote

I'm thinking about making the move to Peru and I am hoping someone could help me out with a few questions. Most international schools have probably already started, but does anyone know if they are still hiring? Is it even worth trying to apply to an international school if I only have seven months experience teaching adults? (I am TEFL certified as well) Or should I just look at language institutes.

After reading some posts my top places to live would be:
Trujillo- Beautiful, outside of the city, lots of jobs.
Arequipa- Similar to Trujillo right?
Lima- Lots of jobs, but kind of dirty. Nicer weather than Cusco
Cusco- Beautiful, but very cold and too touristy
Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, try www.expatperu.com and www.livinginperu.com

Intl schools aren't hiring and with no license, sorry, but you can't get in.

I'd nix Lima, it's horrible. See my PM
ghostdog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I wonder where some of these posters get these ideas. Trujillo is beautiful and out of the city? It is a city, distinctly smaller than Lima, but either the second or third largest city in the country (depending on who's counting the population of Trujillo and Arequipa on a given day). And it's hardly beautiful -- ignore the picture postcards views of the Plaza de Armas, which is attractive but seems somewhat starker and colder in person. There are some picturesque blocks, with old-style lanterns and the like, but on the whole lovely it's not.

And "lots of jobs?" There is very little on offer there, and almost nothing of the high-falutin �nternational school variety the OP seems to be hoping for. As seems to be the case almost everywhere in Peru except Lima and possibly Cuzco (though I could certainly be wrong about the latter), English language training in Trujillo is concentrated in a handful of places, pretty much university "language centres" and the local version of a US binational centre. There is one "international" school but they would pay at best a third of what one might be offered for a comparable post in Lima. There's little corporate work of the kind that fuels the market in Lima (and most South American capitals), and privates are hit and miss, certainly not something to depend on if teaching is your only source of income. And you may well be on your own for a work visa, especially if you are only a part-time teacher, which is likely with most of the opportunities in Trujillo. And without a work visa, most of the places won't touch you. The assumption of language schools in Trujillo is often that a teacher must be married to a local or why else would s/he be living in Trujillo.

If I may be allowed to summarize: there are lots of reasons to appreciate being in Peru, but job conditions for expat English teachers are generally not one of them. Any number of people seem to stay in Lima for the improved employment market there though they don't much care for the city itself, and any number of people put up with a lot (and get paid a pittance) to stay out of Lima.

This is not to pick on the OP, because his comments are reflective of a number of questions to be found on this forum recently, particularly the SA pages, which suggest some prospective teachers really don't know what they are getting into, or what it's like to work in the developing world. It's unfortunate that a lot of countries (including, apparently, Ecuador) are forcing teachers to arrange their visas from outside, because it would behoove a lot of people to come down and see the situation for themselves in a given country before they commit themselves to a move, even temporarily.

Good luck to the OP. I hope he finds what he is looking for.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lima has nicer weather than Cusco? I haven�t spent much time in Cusco, the weather in Lima is the absolute pits. Nice weather is definitely NOT a reason to move to Lima.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lima is overcast and drizzly for about 9 months, but in Cusco it pours, though just for a bit, not all day like Lima
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog wrote:
And "lots of jobs?" There is very little on offer there, and almost nothing of the high-falutin �nternational school variety the OP seems to be hoping for. As seems to be the case almost everywhere in Peru except Lima and possibly Cuzco (though I could certainly be wrong about the latter), English language training in Trujillo is concentrated in a handful of places, pretty much university "language centres" and the local version of a US binational centre. There is one "international" school but they would pay at best a third of what one might be offered for a comparable post in Lima. There's little corporate work of the kind that fuels the market in Lima (and most South American capitals), and privates are hit and miss, certainly not something to depend on if teaching is your only source of income. And you may well be on your own for a work visa, especially if you are only a part-time teacher, which is likely with most of the opportunities in Trujillo. And without a work visa, most of the places won't touch you.

Any number of people seem to stay in Lima for the improved employment market there though they don't much care for the city itself, and any number of people put up with a lot (and get paid a pittance) to stay out of Lima..

Yep, that's true, but as far as intl schools, the OP, sorry, probably won't get in. In Lima and Cajamarca, you can get 2 to 3K. IN Trujillo, it's 900. IN Trujillo, the only advantage that you could have is little competition. Also, a know a couple peopel who did exam classes out of their house and did pretty well. It's about connections.

As for work visas, can't speak for Trujillo, but I know ICPNA in Chiclayo as well as Maximo Nivel and Excel in Cusco don't mind you "volunteering" and getting about 5 bucks an hour. If you're intersted in LIma, let me know, I have a list of schools that will hire you. And with 180 given if you ask for them, you can work on a tourist visa, though you shouldn't mind you.

I HATE Lima and would take a salary cut to get out. BUt I've built up privates and only work 15 hours and make more than I would at the intl school in Trujillo.
ghostdog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Trujillo, the US binational centre, El Cultural, will let you work for awhile as a volunteer, then may or may not decide to help you sort out a visa. The language centre at the national university may or may not care, or might even help you out if they so desire, or are desperate. But Nature Girl is right, it's 5 USD an hour, less now that the sol has weakened. The private unis will expect work papers -- they're not likely to put themselves out for what is likely to be part-time work. The one international school would probably sort out a visa for a full-time teacher, but that's one school and a handful of teachers in the whole of the city.

What many newbie teachers don't seem to realize is that on this continent most of the opportunities lie in the capital or (for Brazil) principal cities of a given country, and they are often not the most pleasant places to live. Think Lima, Santiago, Bogota. There is some other work out there, yes, but the odds drop exponentially once you get outside the capital. Forewarned is forearmed.
cindygettis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: cusco Reply with quote

We live in Cusco and it is quite nice here, though what you said about it being touristy true. It is entirely possible, though, to find an area of town where there aren't a lot of tourists. We live in a suburb just outside of town and we are the only foreigners around. The city center is where all the tourists are. As for teaching jobs, there are several institutes here where you could find work. The weather gets chilly at night but is warm and sunny during the day. We arrived in March and there hasn't been too much rain. Mostly it just rains for a little while and then the sun comes out. We are now heading into the dry season. Cusco is a nice city to live in, as it's close to some wonderful sites, like plenty of Inca ruins and the Sacred Valley.
Mike Lee

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I am looking into a move to Peru pretty soon to teach English. Really excited!!! I'm TESOL certified, but its 60 hours and I'm considering taking a CELTA course. There's one offered in Buenos Aires by International House and I'm wondering if anyone has any info on it. How easy is it to get from Argentina to Peru once I'm done? I sent an email to them and haven't heard back...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lee wrote:
Hi all. I am looking into a move to Peru pretty soon to teach English. Really excited!!! I'm TESOL certified, but its 60 hours and I'm considering taking a CELTA course. There's one offered in Buenos Aires by International House and I'm wondering if anyone has any info on it. How easy is it to get from Argentina to Peru once I'm done? I sent an email to them and haven't heard back...

YOu honestly don't need a CELTA for Peru.

Just take a flight, there are tons from BsAs to Lima.
Belluomo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Lima is overcast and drizzly for about 9 months, but in Cusco it pours, though just for a bit, not all day like Lima

Drizzly? "pours"? in Lima??!! Where do you live? I have never even seen it RAIN in Lima, much less pour, or actually even drizzle!! Yes, it has the llovisna from time to time but that is like a light mist. Sorry, I just didn't get your post at all. Yes, Lima's weather is a huge negative, but there are a lot of other things to like about Lima. I can think of worse places. All in all, it's not so bad.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belluomo wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Drizzly? "pours"? in Lima??!! Where do you live? I have never even seen it RAIN in Lima, much less pour, or actually even drizzle!! Yes, it has the llovisna from time to time but that is like a light mist. Sorry, I just didn't get your post at all. Yes, Lima's weather is a huge negative, but there are a lot of other things to like about Lima. I can think of worse places. All in all, it's not so bad.

For the real rain, pouring rain, that's Cusco, not Lima.

Miraflores, Barranco, San borja, and San Isidro are the rainy places. I've lived in Surquillo, Miraflores, San Borja and MONterrico. The lovely winter fogs has already set in.

HOw long have you been in LIma? Or have you just visited? I've lived here for three years. Trust me, the pixs on the internet about beautiful Lima were taken during the handful of sunny days that we have here a year.

Winter's just started Smile We've had an Indian summer so far, which means winter will last even longer.

By the way, I saw that your name is Andrew, so therefore by being a man, you don't have to put up with the stuff I do on a daily basis (getting whistled at, gropped, stared at, and having sexual comments being said to me every block)

Anyways, you should have a better time in LIma than I do. I just sent you a PM with job info, if you have quesitons, let me know
Sharon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: