Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Brazil a stable environment?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Is Brazil a stable environment? Reply with quote

We're looking at possibly leaving Peru for a year or two and have heard that Brasil's economy has been steadily increasing over the years. Does that mean that it's easy to get a good job? What's pay like there?
vaughnyb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea sharon, because Im gtting ready to move there too..

from An Expat living in peru too

vaughn
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Why are you leaving Peru?
vaughnyb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tired of peru. Theres not much to do here for entertainment, only cultural stuff.No real entertainmeent. 2 years here is enough for me. Now Im looking for a portugueesse teacher. I want to shove off in three months.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At lteat you've done the cultural stuff. I've yet to do that and it's been 5 years. I leave to, August, back to China.
vaughnyb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your reason?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just can't do Peru anymore. Became a Peruvian citizens actually, but can't deal with the spitting, whistling, being commented on my butt, chest, `pushed out of combis and the uneducated people.

I've told my husband that I don't want to live in Peru and won't come back. We'll have to go somewhere else

He'd said he'd give China a try, if that doesn't work out, then he can choose the next country. Because I can't deal with it anymore.

What about your gf? Will she go with you?
Why Brasil=
dove

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught English in Sao Paulo for 6 months last year and I was able to find work. It takes time to get everything in place with enough hours to live comfortably and save. I was hired by a company that send teachers to teach business English onsite. The pay was about 15 USD per hour. I also taught private lessons where I received anything from 15 dollars to 25 dollars per hour. The private lessons are the way to go. My Brazilian friends who were English teachers made most of their money from privates because the language school chains don't pay very well.

My friends in Sao Paulo tell me they are doing well despite the recession. Actually, BECAUSE of the recession they have gotten more lessons because people want to become more marketable and knowing English is almost a necessity in the business world. I wish I had stayed. I was just getting established and getting more privates from word of mouth.

BUT-- I didn't want to overstay my visa. As it was, I was illegally working on a tourist visa, which is probably what most of the foreign English teachers are doing. I know that the chances of being caught were slim; I know that Brazil doesn't throw overstayers in jail, and I know there are hundreds of gringoes who overstay. But I didn't want to be one of them. So for me Brazil was NOT a stable environment. I don't think there are many employers who are willing to go through the sponsoring process. I mean, there are enough Brazilians who can teach English. And then there are those married to Brazilians or those with dual citizenship. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but I think they are just that: exceptions. That doesn't equal stability as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I will return to Brazil one day. I am saving my money like crazy now. I'll definitely retire in Brazil. Then I won't care about being illegal.

I'd live to hear other points of view.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically agree with Dove.

It is very easy as a native English speaker or even a non-native English speaker with EFL teaching credentials to find employment in Brazil teaching EFL. However, it takes time to make a decent salary.

As Dove says the EFL industry is somewhat recession proof as Brazilians see English as an essential skill and even more essential in economic hard times. Having English as your "L1" and having actual EFL credentials makes yourself very marketable here.

However, dont expect to make a decent salary very quickly. The language schools dont pay well. You will make more money doing corporate teaching and doing privates but this can mean moving around a lot, having a very disjointed schedule and most of this kind of work is in Sao Paulo which in my experience was like trying to move around Bangkok - absolute Hell.

Many people overstay their visas and rumour has it that there will be another amnesty soon but if you overstay and need to leave you will have to pay a (large) fine, enter the very unpleasant Universe of Brazilian bureacracy and returning to Brazil easily could be problematic

Every thing in Brazil takes time - you need to build a network and make contacts - I didnt say it . . . my Brazilian partner did -"Brazilians do everything slowly - except drive".
labomba

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl

Brazil is a big one. If you want to live in Sao Paulo you are moving to a huge city of 18 million which is too big in many ways but has great cultural opportunites and a wealth of different people who are all Brazilian.

Most of the money is in Sao Paulo and the southeast. But my favourite is the north east. A great part of the World, my favourite! Great landscapes, food, drinks, people and weather. But poorer with fewer job opportunites. You could try Recife for a good job and it is a great city but aside from this city there is not much for good jobs.

Your right, Brazil is on the up, in status and economics. But the huge problem of inequality remains unadressed.

Brazil does not greatly look outside of itself and have the desire of a Mexico perhaps to learn English. Its understandable, its 180 million people, huge and remote from other large powers. Its going to keep on growing.

If you have any questions about any part of Brazil please send me a message, I know the place fairly well and am a big fan. Sorry to give only a general answer. I would reccommend it strongly, but pick your place and think about what you want.
Mexicobound

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there many International School jobs or Uni. jobs available in Brazil?
I wouldn't mind spending a year or two there. I am a cert. English teacher not an ESL teacher so I would be looking for English teaching positions not TEFL. I tried to do some online job searching for Brazil but not getting anything worthwhile.
Thanks for any input.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

labomba wrote:
naturegirl

Brazil is a big one. If you want to live in Sao Paulo you are moving to a huge city of 18 million which is too big in many ways but has great cultural opportunites and a wealth of different people who are all Brazilian.

Having lived in Sao Paulo and having visited Lima...I gotta say, naturegirl, you'd love Sao Paulo comparitively.

I use to live in Pinherios next to Jardins...which is quite reasonable priced, and I always felt very safe. There are certainly bad places in Sao Paulo, but my area I always felt very comfortable, and SP has a very big-city feel with people who fit more into a business corporate mindset - i.e. just a bit more, I don't know, more tuned in the world than Peru anyways. (That being said, Brazilians are still very Brazilian - but something is very attractive about that as opposed to say a Peruvian being very Peruvian or a Korean being a Korean).

I was in Peru for a month and Lima for about 5 days...but I could feel pretty much right away it isn't a place I'd like to live (opposite of Brazil, which I found nearly impossible to leave, and one where I dreamed of years and years of returning potentially permanantly).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: