Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

misleading postings on this site

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larkahn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: misleading postings on this site Reply with quote

I have been teaching as an ESL teacher for more than 10 years in Singapore. There are quite a few misleading postings about Singapore. Take for example the cost of living here. What kind of lifestyle are you interested in? Certainly, if you want the privacy of your own flat, then I would say that costs might be considered prohibitive; however, if you do not mind sharing a flat, then it is quite easy to get by.

Regarding recent negative postings about Dimensions, I have spoken with a half dozen past teachers there -- they have nothing but positive comments about the school, the work environment, and the work conditions. Since they no longer work at the school, there is no reason for them to make up stories. The school has an outstanding reputation among ESL teachers. Word does get around among the teachers at various schools.

I suggest that potential Singapore teachers, take with a grain of salt, the negative postings in this forum. They can be very misleading.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: misleading postings on this site Reply with quote

larkhan,

NEGATIVE COMMENTS ARE WARRANTED!

I personally would advise all teachers to do their research on the language schools in Singapore. Research includes having a solicitor to research if the contract on offer is in violation of Singapore's Industrial Relation Laws (MoM; Ministry of Manpower).

It is a pity that your "friends" are not currently working at this nominated and "Blacklisted" school. Convience? In fact, I ask why don't they make a reply to this warning in defence of the school? Isn't it as great as you say it is?

Indeed, if it has a three month probation period then run from it as if the DEVIL HIMSELF IS HOT ON YOUR TAIL. A more realistic probation period would be four weeks with six weeks being maximum.

My personal experience with certain schools throughout Asia warrants my warning those who want to work in Singapore of the pitfalls of ESL /EFL language schools.

Nagative comments are warranted when reports of school management perform actions which need reporting. Out of the ashes may some good arise.

My advice is for teachers to stay clear of any school affiliated in any way with any organisation which has been reported as a dodgy place to work, especially if it has any thing to do with reading skills!

More so if the school refuses to inform a prospective teacher just how many teachers there are working for it and if it will not provide several E-mail addresses / phone numbers (consented to by employed teachers) for contact for questions to be asked of current teachers and answers to be provided.

CAVEAT EMPTOR (let the buyer BEWARE!)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: