Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which qualifications for the German market?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cateye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Which qualifications for the German market? Reply with quote

I have a BA in German literature, lived in Germany for two years as a student, and am fluent in both written and spoken German. I worked in German companies in the USA for a number of years and used German in a business setting.

Additionally, I have a CELTA and tutored ESL for five years in Asia privately to schoolchildren and adults, and in language schools to small classes of mixed ability adults. I am currently out of the ESL loop working in business but I miss teaching and traveling. If I spent the next three years, say, working, getting a TESOL masters, and volunteering as an ESL teacher to keep my hand in, would it be unrealistic to hope to get work in Germany? Full time work with benefits? And if it's not a pipe dream, what is an average salary or a range?

I'm not young and foolhardy enough to just wing it as I did 20 years ago but am willing to take a few years to work toward this if it is realistic. Given the market today it may not be. Still, I might do the degree anyway as a hobby and for volunteering - you never know.

Thanks so much for your ideas and input.
Mojoski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're qualified for many TEFL jobs right now, as I am, but if you don't have an EU passport, it's very difficult to get one. You don't say so, but from your post, you seem to be an American, like me. Most places simply don't care to go to the extra trouble of sponsoring a non-EU teacher when there are hordes of them in Ireland and UK. Understandable, but sucks for us.

However, you have another possible avenue which I don't. With your knowledge of German and experience working with Germany related companies, perhaps you could get a job with an American company in Germany or a German company that needs an American liaison. Once there, if you really want to teach, you could freelance part-time. I see plenty of jobs like that posted. Good luck. Very Happy

BTW, I worked in Poland a few years, and I'm looking for jobs in Germany because I'd love to get back to Europe. I can no longer work for what they pay in Central Europe, and it's very hard for non-EU to get jobs in those places now too.

Oh, one more thought: if you got your MA in English Lit., you could probably get a post at a German university. Of course, you wouldn't be able to live in Germany while pursuing the MA.
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Work prospects in Germany contra 'central Europe'... Reply with quote

Hello, I have to beg to differ from Majoski's advice, e.g. that its difficult for Americans to teach ESL in central Europe. While I've never taught in Germany I did teach in Prague (central Europe). Even with Schengen it is still quite possible to teach in Czech Republic for Americans.

My advice to the OP: you seem a bit hesitant despite being fluent in German. Don't be afraid to take calculated risk. For example, try teaching in Germany: do as much research as you can before leaving, touch base with some schools and do ye olde information interviews when you get there (better since there is less stress over money). Impress them in person with your fluent German. But you need to BE in Germany speaking fluently in German, making contacts. I'll bet that will open doors for you, and get you free lance teaching gigs that eventually could lead to a steady job. But my impression is you won't be able to get a job until you move there--take the risk--and do your best once there.

...and if Germany does not pan out, try a neighboring country: you could try Austria, Slovakia, Poland, etc. Good luck.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laws of every country are different and the job markets can vary widely.

For example, while I agree that the Czech Rep is quite feasible for Americans, Austria is an entirely different story. Simply because they share a border does not mean that that legalities will be the same.
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: @spiral78 Reply with quote

Spiral78 says-

Quote:
The laws of every country are different and the job markets can vary widely.

For example, while I agree that the Czech Rep is quite feasible for Americans, Austria is an entirely different story. Simply because they share a border does not mean that that legalities will be the same.

My main point is that if the OP tries Germany and it didn't pan out for whatever reason, he can easily move to Czech Republic where ESL prospects are good. I never said the employment laws were the same, so don't know where you came up with that. I did mention Austria because his fluency in German will be an asset there, regardless of presumed differences in employment law.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I have to beg to differ from Majoski's advice, e.g. that its difficult for Americans to teach ESL in central Europe.

Sorry if I misunderstood - this comment made me think you were lumping the countries together in legal terms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: