Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Egyptian English Language School, Alexandria
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkingdichotomy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: The Egyptian English Language School, Alexandria Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this school. I can't find a lot of information on the Internet and was hoping that maybe someone could give me an idea about it.

Also, I've read on some earlier threads that the majority of schools hire at fairs. This one e-mailed me and wants to conduct a phone interview (I'm currently out of the country). Should I be wary of schools that wish to do things in this manner?

As for pay, considering that they're offering free flights, accommodation and medical insurance, what would be a good rate?

Thanks!
justcolleen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Egyptian English Language School, Alexandria Reply with quote

walkingdichotomy wrote:
Hi guys.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this school. I can't find a lot of information on the Internet and was hoping that maybe someone could give me an idea about it.

Also, I've read on some earlier threads that the majority of schools hire at fairs. This one e-mailed me and wants to conduct a phone interview (I'm currently out of the country). Should I be wary of schools that wish to do things in this manner?

As for pay, considering that they're offering free flights, accommodation and medical insurance, what would be a good rate?

Thanks!

Sure.

EELS is an English language school, which means they teach the Egyptian National public school curriculum in English.

Is it a legitimate school? Yes. I wouldn't be wary of the phone interview at all.

The pay rate depends on your education, experience, and whether you are a native English speaker. You haven't shared those details.

Flights, accomodation, and medical insurance are almost unheard of in Alexandria. Maybe school in Cairo, Sharm, or Hurghada do this but I've only heard of ONE school in Alexandria that puts this on offer - to anybody. That alone makes it a sweet deal but it certainly doesn't cut your value in the classroom.
walkingdichotomy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. That's encouraging. Yes, I am a native teacher. I have 15 months' teaching experience in Chile and have both a TEFL and a degree. I've responded to the e-mail and am currently waiting for a reply...
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkingdichotomy wrote:
Thanks for the response. That's encouraging. Yes, I am a native teacher. I have 15 months' teaching experience in Chile and have both a TEFL and a degree. I've responded to the e-mail and am currently waiting for a reply...

Am I reading this right and you're not certified to teach K-12 (because that's what IILS is, a regular ol' school, with readin', writin', and 'rithmatic)?
walkingdichotomy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. I just have my TEFL, my degree and my 15 months in Chile. Nuts. It looks like there may have been some confusion on both sides... I may send another mail to query.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkingdichotomy wrote:
That's right. I just have my TEFL, my degree and my 15 months in Chile. Nuts. It looks like there may have been some confusion on both sides... I may send another mail to query.

You may want to do that because a K-12 certification in that type of school most certainly would make a difference in terms of salary.

Don't let that put you off, though, because it doesn't mean they won't be williing to hire you, it only means a difference in the salary they'll offer.
walkingdichotomy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Well, I've finally recieved a reply and am having a phone interview tomorrow (yay!) If accommodation is included, what sort of pay would be considered good, bad or otherwise ugly?

Many thanks.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your inbox.

I hope it helps.
juliagirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: me too! me too! Reply with quote

I was recently contacted by this school as well. I have 7 years experience teaching both lower elementary grades as well as ESL/EFL classes. I'm having a phone interview with them after receiving a couple of pressing emails (guessing one of their hires backed out). My work history is completely in N America and Asia. International schools, public school and language schools. I was due to go to Syria in a month's time, but I am considering this. Can anyone tell me anything about the school or what salary I should negotiate for? Other benefits are the same as the OP.

Thanks. A lot.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're going to want to verify whether the salary is paid in US dollars or Egyptian pounds, and whether the salary they're offering as quoted actually paid in dollars or pounds. There seems to be some confusion about this. I realize its the duty of the school to be clear however language issues can and do happen.

The other poster and I had a PM discussion and the housing (flat) is located in a really nice area of Alexandria and includes a baweb (doorman). Transportation appears to be provided by the school as well, which is a nice benefit although not unusual.

As I said before, EELS is by all means a legitimate school with a rather good reputation in Alexandria. It's been around for a long time and it won't be closing its doors tomorrow.

With those things taken into consideration, the only questions I would have are these: Do you have a Bachelors degree and are you certified to teach K-12? Which grade level are you interviewing for, Nursery or "Grades" (grade 1 and higher)? Those things make a difference in terms of salary discussions.
juliagirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to all, though no secondary teachables. Second and third grades are my choice, but I've taught high school humanities class in other international schools when I've had to. I was surprised when they contacted me, I don't recall directly applying for this position. The low cost of living (from what I've heard) makes it very attractive. That and the location etc....... Now that it's on my mind, I want it to work out. But not having experience here, I don't know what the offers are like, or what they should be.....
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliagirl wrote:
But not having experience here, I don't know what the offers are like, or what they should be.....

By "here" do you mean in Egypt? Are you in Egypt right now? I ask this because it will make a difference in that flights will likely not be included as part of the package.

Part of the offer probably includes "insurance". You will want to know exactly what they mean by "insurance" because the definition is different from school to school, person to person.

If they mean you get the luxury of paying 10% of your salary into the OPTIONAL Egyptian retirement plan, don't take it because a.) this is only an option for Egyptian citizens and b.) you won't be in Egypt when you're old enough to retire to collect it.

If they mean access to the better, private hospitals at a reduced rate, you may want to consider it because mileage varies when it comes to hospitals in Egypt and some are waaaaay low in terms of quality (think circa 1950s equipment - I've seen it with my own two eyes).

Generally, in my opinion this is a reputable school and their teachers don't spend the summer shopping other schools for more money and/or better conditions, so that alone speaks volumes. You'll want to sort out the details, particularly which grade(s) you will be teaching in order to get a better idea of what the salary range should be.

I will tell you this, though, Alexandria is NOT Cairo, nor is it Hurghada, nor is it Sharm when it comes to teacher's salaries so it will not be, comparatively, off the hook in terms of Egyptian pounds. However, know that in Egypt a few LE goes a long way. It's NOT expensive to live here, particularly when the flat is provided.
juliagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accepted this job....
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo!

I hope you enjoy your time in Egypt. If you need anything, I'm just a PM away.
juliagirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. One issue, they are going to have 2 teachers living together in an apartment. Their reason being that they can afford a bigger, nicer apartment with more equipment if they work it out this way. I don't know a think about apartments here, but, in California, you can pretty much here the other person snoring in the next room. Is the layout there different? What do you imagine it would be like? I know that no one can say 'hey, they will put you up in XXXXX' but just some idea of what might be possible would be really nice. I'm 33 and I've never done the roommate thing, even in college. I really want this contract to work out, but I have seen co workers living together before.... any insight or advice.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: