Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa requirements - extract from the criminal record
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITTP wrote:
cks wrote:
Unless things have changed since I renewed my visa last April, you do not need to pay money for your U.S criminal record. They only want the 50 kc criminal record for the Czech Republic.

Haven't they dropped the need now to obtain the Czech criminal record?

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1

As of last July, I believe. I thought I needed one to renew my visa, so I went to Brno and paid the 50kc. I ended up not needing it...
cks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly; I just give them my papers and happily accept the 1000 kc renewal stamp. I don't think that musical chef or anyone needed to spend any time or money on the U.S criminal records abroad unless some language school requested it. I personally had to get my criminal record extract here at the embassy because I am switching to permanent residency status. It took only 10 minutes of my time for 600 kc.

So I personally think it is best not to worth paying money and going through the hassels to get your criminal record in the States. It can be done here at the embassy should anyone ask for it, but I have yet to experience anyone from a language school who wanted this.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had known this before I paid for it TWICE and then went through the hassle of getting the silly thing here and worrying myself sick when it didn't arrive on time! Rolling Eyes

But since it's here, should I go ahead and get it translated in case the foreign police want it?

By the way, it's my first time applying for visa here, if that makes any difference. Maybe for the first time, they want the American criminal report, and then after you've been living here they want the Czech one when you renew?
cks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend any money on translating it unless they need it. You should wait. Have you already made your appointment with an embassy abroad for the visa? I think it depends on the embassy that you choose and what they are asking for. I know the embassy in Vienna wanted different papers than the one in Bratislava. Give them a call and ask for specifically all the documents they want.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cks; I plan to go to Dresden. It seems to be the closest/cheapest and from what I understand I will actually have to go twice. I have their contact information and will call them on Monday.
ITTP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalchef wrote:
Thanks cks; I plan to go to Dresden. It seems to be the closest/cheapest and from what I understand I will actually have to go twice. I have their contact information and will call them on Monday.

Wouldn't advise Dresden currently musicalchef.
Have been receiving reports that they have been getting overwhelmed with applications, due to being the closest embassy option.
I wouldn't really recommend Bratislava either, due to the queues.
Vienna is a far more comfortable option and was also voted as the best city in the world to live in. It's also not bad a destination for a short trip Smile
http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
musicalchef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I already have my appointment for next week. Hope it goes well anyways!
musicalchef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Teacher Umikun wrote:
I see you're from Florida. I heard that if you're a U.S. citizen, a signed affidavit stating that you haven't been convicted of any criminal offenses will suffice for this requirement. My guess is that it's like pulling teeth trying to get a U.S. criminal record once you've arrived in Czechland.

I just went to Dresden today. It is DEFINITELY better to just get the affidavit! They didn't accept the (certified translated) criminal report for some reason; I didn't completely understand why. They gave me the affidavit there; I signed it in front of them and paid 10 euros for notarization.

In short, if you're going to Dresden, forget the US criminal report and just sign the affidavit! I read on the expats forum that you don't have to pay so much at the US embassy for it either, you can just take it to a Czech notary, who will charge under 100 kc.
maastricht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the US embassy in Prague and they said that either an affidavit or the FBI background check would work. I also emailed a Czech embassy in another country and they said the FBI background check would be fine.

I have a question about the FBI background check. Since both the zivno application and the visa application require a criminal extract, can I just get one copy of the FBI background check, submit it for the zivno, and have it returned to me? Or do I need two separate copies?
tombanjo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if they actually make you have the criminal record check from any countries you've been in for longer than 6 months? I have the affidavit from the US Embassy, and have requested a criminal check with apostille from the Korean embassy (I worked in Korea) but my visa appointment is coming up and I still haven't gotten the check back from the Korean Embassy.

I have a notarized check from a police office in Korea in the town where I worked, would this suffice translated into Czech? It doesn't have the apostille.
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affidavit for US citizens definitely enough. In the CZ you can get one at the American embassy and then you have to get it officially translated. I think that it's possible to just have a Czech notary sign an affidavit in Czech, so I've heard, though I've never done it.
nzbradly78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to tell you that an affidavit isn't enough if you are applying for your visa from outside of the Czech Republic. I've had to get a background check from my home state (not hard) and then from any country I've lived in for six months over the last three years. These need to be translated. Fortunately for me, my employer is taking care of the translation services for all my documents. But you should be aware of this, if you are applying from outside of the CR.
cooltyp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am already in the Czech Republic and have signed my work contract/work permit. they requested a criminal background check from my home state (US). Should i get state background check and have it stamped and mailed to me? What is a signed affidavit? Is this easier?
musicalchef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooltyp, it is just a form (in both English and Czech) saying that you swear you have never committed a crime. You need to sign it with a notary. I don't remember where to get it; maybe your boss can help? I think they just printed it out for me at school; it was a couple years ago. I just took it to a Czech notary, and it was very cheap. the last time I went to Czechpoint (the one at Vodickova) with an affidavit that had both Czech and English on it, they said they couldn't sign it since the notary also had to know both Czech and English. They have papers ready there with lists of notaries who can help you; one was just around the corner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: