Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know of Americans ever getting deported for teaching?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCNorBust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone know of Americans ever getting deported for teaching? Reply with quote

Hi all -

I'm planning on moving to BCN in the summer, getting my CELTA certification at International House BCN, but I'm concerned about working illegally. Though most people I've talked to have been positive about finding work (especially in Madrid, less so in BCN), according to the US Embassy, I theoretically could be deported if caught.

Can anyone tell me if this is a major roadblock I should be wary of? Does anyone know anyone who has been found working illegally as a teacher in Spain and been deported? If so, I'd like to hear a bit about it. I'm willing to take the risk, as I don't have an EU passport, and find jobs teaching English at small academias as well as teaching one-on-one, but is the possibility of being "found out" (makes me sound like a criminal!) something I should truly worry about? Thanks!
avahanian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've never heard of an American getting deported....the chances of that are almost nil. The authorities aren't so concerned about Americans or Canadians overstaying their tourist visa, they are more concerned with North Africans (as unfair as this is, it's the truth)

However, it doesn't mean you shouldn't use common sense and judgement. As long as you don't get into trouble with the law, don't do anything like deal drugs, and be discreet - the chances of being caught and deported is nil.

They CAN deport you if you overstay your visa....but the practice of the law is very different from the written law.
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second that, without any evidence whatsoever to support myself (but what's new?). You'd be more noticeable in smaller towns, I suppose, but really you work as cheap labour in an... important? ish... field. Hmmm...
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: It has never happened Reply with quote

About five years ago I worked with an American guy that got his money and camera stolen in The Ramblas in BCN. He went to the police without realising that they had actually put a stamp n the passport when he came
( they dont do it anymore) and they could see he had overtayed by over a year. The policeman went in to consult someone.He thought he was going to be deported. He came back with a smile and gave him his passport back and told him to be more careful and to give them a phone number in case they found any of the things that had been stolen. I think he actually explained his story in the famous web site Madrid Man( it may still be there)
Don't forget either that Spain apart from England is the only European country that supported USA in the war against Irak so at the moment there's an excellent relationship between the two countries.
avahanian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: It has never happened Reply with quote

gsbcn08080 wrote:
About five years ago I worked with an American guy that got his money and camera stolen in The Ramblas in BCN. He went to the police without realising that they had actually put a stamp n the passport when he came
( they dont do it anymore) and they could see he had overtayed by over a year. The policeman went in to consult someone.He thought he was going to be deported. He came back with a smile and gave him his passport back and told him to be more careful and to give them a phone number in case they found any of the things that had been stolen. I think he actually explained his story in the famous web site Madrid Man( it may still be there)
Don't forget either that Spain apart from England is the only European country that supported USA in the war against Irak so at the moment there's an excellent relationship between the two countries.

Hi,

You're spot on, and that story exists in both the Madrid Man website and Multimadrid as well!
brighton74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Deported Reply with quote

I generally agree with all the things you're saying... That Americans are never deported, that this is Spain and one thing is the law on paper, but the application of the law is another matter, etc.

I said all that on an eslcafe forum a few years back... And stated that I'd never heard of anyone being deported (I still haven't, no personal friends or acquaintances of mine have ever been deported and I've never heard of any American being deported)

However... When I posted on the eslcafe forum, an American woman living in Taiwan replied that a friend of hers had been deported from Spain and that she hadn't even been able to gather her things... Whether that's actually true or not, I can't say. This lady said that she was very disappointed with Spain because she'd spent 4 years here and never found legal work.

You probably won't be able to find the post. When it was posted, the forums had a completely different format.
Eric Paice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anyone being deported either. I've been in Madrid for about a year. It seems like as long as you stay out of trouble then you'll get left alone. I know Americans who've been here even longer and they've never heard of anyone getting deported either.

On paper, what could happen is pretty awful, but as others on this thread have said, the laws exist but their application is a different matter altogether.

Live within the law and you'll be fine.
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Paice wrote:
I've never heard of anyone being deported either. I've been in Madrid for about a year. It seems like as long as you stay out of trouble then you'll get left alone. I know Americans who've been here even longer and they've never heard of anyone getting deported either.

On paper, what could happen is pretty awful, but as others on this thread have said, the laws exist but their application is a different matter altogether.

Live within the law and you'll be fine.

Indeed

Even now, after the relations between the two have "soured", things are quite the same

Let's put it this way: if you are an American, and you get deported from Spain for teaching, and not for committing any sort of crime (such as drug dealing, prostitution, murder, armed robbery), I'll say you are the victim of a 1,000,0000 to 1 chance, and you have absolutely bloody awful luck in life.

But the question shouldn't be whether you will be deported, but about the quality of life of someone who works legally vs. one who works illegally.

Does anyone care to share their opinion regarding this, do you think illegal English teachers suffer in the quality of life department?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: