Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan vs Latin America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasigoreng

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Taiwan vs Latin America Reply with quote

Has anyone taught in both places? Can you compare the two for me?
I'm in Taiwan now but I don't like it (the students/environment/job/).
Is the teaching atmosphere in Latin America better than Taiwan(robot land)?

p.s. - as long as I don't LOSE any, money is NOT an issue.
dduck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nasi,

There's probably a really small number of teachers that have taught in both places. Not many people seem to think of Latin America as a destination (compared to Asia) - although I love it myself! So in the absense of a flood of replies, I'd advise you to read the jounal entries and try to form an opinion of both areas for yourself.

By the way, isn't nasigoreng the name of a food? I seem to remember it from my days in the Netherlands. Smile

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Latin American--Taiwan Reply with quote

I haven't been to Taiwan, but I have been to Japan. I also worked with two people who came to Mexico after Taiwan. Most people perfer one or the other. I'm a pure Latinophile myself, so while I loved Japan, I will always perfer Latin America.

Latin America is varied within itself, do you have a particular country in mind? What sorts of climates to you like to live in? Do you like spicy food? Seafood? Big chuncks of meat? Are you a city person? Is being near the sea important? Do you like "tropical" music? Ruins? Modern Art? Hiking? Rafting? Surfing?

If money is not an issue, why not come and give it a try? You can always go back to Asia. However, take note, it is possible to be in a finacial loss situation in Latin American.

Best of luck,

MELEE
nasigoreng

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

DDuck: You are right, nasigoreng is Indonesian for fried rice.
MELEE: I noticed your based in Oaxaca. I'm jealous. Loved that place - especially the cheese Smile .

Hey MELEE, what are the differences between your former Jpnz students and current Mexican students?
dan allan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: LATIN AMERICA VS TAIWAN Reply with quote

Hello;

I have worked many parts of Latin America.

Can give you current info re MEXICO CITY, if you wish.

I can tell you this much; you'll make a lot more money in Taiwan.

I think personally China would be more interesting and pay similar to Mexico.

DAN
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Pay in China Reply with quote

Here's a tangent, sorry ladies.

Pay is definitely better in Korea and Japan, than in almost all of Latin America. From what I'm hearing on China, there are few high paying opportunities.

Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Santiago are the highest paying Latin American markets, followed closely by Panama City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey.

Guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: