Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qualifications for teaching in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Qualifications for teaching in Egypt Reply with quote

I am wondering what the qualifications are for being able to teach English in Egypt. I was born and raised in the U.S., so English is my first language and I have a US passport. I have a BA in economics, though I do not have any prior English teaching experience. I am white (don't know if that matters here like it does in parts of East Asia), male and just graduated from college (22 years old). I am not partial to one city or another, whatever works. Are there any other relevant pieces of information to determine if I would be qualified? I know in other parts of the Middle East you need a masters in teaching English with years of experience, but is Egypt the same? Also, what type of salary/living expenses could be expected? Thank you very much
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, you have absolutely zero qualifications to teach English anywhere in the Middle East. (actually you have none for anywhere in the world) This is not the part of the world where just being a white native speaker will get you a job. I suggest somewhere in Asia.

Don't be another of the backpacker drones that show up and expect to be given a job just because of your skin color and native language. Would you want a teacher with absolutely no training, experience, or ability? Go out and get yourself a CELTA... then you will know something about teaching and won't be stealing from your students.

Sorry... but this type of request is an insult to trained ESL/EFL teachers everywhere.

VS
juliagirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, VS.... as always....
mukal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstof all, don't get all upset, I was just asking a question. Second of all, the white questions is legit because I read a discussion somewhere on another Egypt thread about a person who was Arab-American and someone told her that she would only receive local pay because she looked like a local. And when exactly did I ever imply that I want to be a typical backpacking tourist? I'm interested in teaching in Egypt because I want to learn and become immersed in the culture, not to sight see. Finally, I am willing to go out and get a CELTA once I have enough money saved up, and obviously I do not expect to just be handed a job just for showing up. If I did, why would I be on here researching about it in the first place?

eclectic wrote:
(that was also a mildly condescending comment you made to me, and I have often wondered why anglo-saxons are so painfully unaware of how this kind of smug pomposity causes the rest of the world to loathe them in general.)

When will the anglos SEE that coming across as a condescending character is their fatal flaw?

I agree with eclectic. Why do people have to be so sarcastic and pompous on this website? Aren't we all here to help and to get help?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked a question... described yourself... and asked if you were qualified. It was your post that suggested that you felt that being white and speaking English as a native language prepared you somehow to be a teacher (which is BTW, pretty much the definition of the typical backpacker teacher). I answered your question.

And if you are going to choose to align yourself with a poster like Eclectic... well... enuf said...

Perhaps you would have looked more mature and serious if you had asked about or mentioned an intention to get some sort of training before arrival in Egypt... like a CELTA? Do it... At that point, in Egypt you should be able to get a job that will pay most of the bills, but little more.

BTW... if Egypt is your goal, I suggest that you get the CELTA in Cairo at the British Council.

Good Luck!

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukal wrote:
Finally, I am willing to go out and get a CELTA once I have enough money saved up, and obviously I do not expect to just be handed a job just for showing up.

If ELS is your career path, you might want to look somewhere other than Egypt because there isn't much of a market for it here.

Here's why.

Every single school in Egypt is required to offer English lessons, public and private. National, Language, International, Experimental, doesn't matter as they all have to teach it - through the 12th grade.

Also, every Egyptian who hopes to go to college (and that's pretty much all of them - to improve their social status and because it's almost free) have to take the SAT I and SAT II exams. Their scores on those exams, along with the grades from their last two years of high school, determine if they go to college, where they go to college, and what they will study. Of course those exams are delivered in English so if they don't know it by the time they take the SATs, they probably have no desire to learn.

The odd expception are people who want to improve their English. The quantity of that particular population isn't enough to bank on making a living with. Also, if they have money for lessons they go to Amid East(only the HIGHLY QUALIFIED work for Amid East). If they don't, they'll pay an Egyptian 25 LE an hour to tutor them.

QUALIFIED TEACHERS have many, many opportunities to teach in Egypt - and not only English but Math and Science and so on. Those are also the teachers who will make enough money, possibly even US dollars, to have a rather cushy lifestyle.

Will an ESL certification and a degree get you a job? Sure, they could, but quite likely not teaching ESL.

No certification at all? You wouldn't want the available employment because the employer would be dodgy at best, pond scum at worst.
ajjohnson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: interested in Egypt Reply with quote

I have a CELTA and 2 years of ESL teaching experience and no BA degree. What are my chances of finding work in Egypt?

Thanks,
AJ
aab7855

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the pay like in Egypt? Probably pretty grim, it's so much cheaper to travel there than it is in places like Jordan and Israel, and those latter two barely pay enough for survival. Shucks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aab7855 wrote:
What is the pay like in Egypt?

Survival... if you hustle.

Now, if you have an MA and yearss of experience teaching Academic English to university level Arabic speakers, there is AUC, which pays nearly as well as the Gulf.

VS
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And if you are going to choose to align yourself with a poster like Eclectic... well... enuf said...

gee, thanks alot VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updates on the ground:

CELTA is worth every penny if you're doing this for more than a few months.

AMIDEast is probably second to British Council, but they only higher Brits and Egyptians. I know a girl who works at AMIDEast who did the TEFL International in Alexandria, and had an internship of some sort that translated in her job with AMIDEast. So it's hard to pinpoint.

As with anything, it's not what you know, but who you know. I am working 7 hours on a Friday, and that'll pay my rent until I ship out to Korea in February, but I landed that job through a friend in CELTA.

The other offer I have is half that much, and my girlfriend tonight was offered the 25 LE mentioned in this thread. FYI, you shouldn't be working for less than American minimum wage.

If you've got a BA, CELTA and 2 years experience, you should find something that will make your ends meet decently well. Realistically, if I were staying until June I would have found something to allow me to live quite comfortable. It probably wouldn't be English to Adults though. More like music to 3rd-9th graders (I play the piano!).

My last point before bed is that it depends on WHAT you want from living in Egypt. LOADS of nice schools are opening up not anywhere near Downtown/Dokki/Zamalek. There still are places there, but the best options I've come across are in New Cairo. Which is new. And not in "Cairo" per se. It just seems disappointing to me, but to each their own. I'll stay in Dokki.

If anyone's in Cairo and wants to meet up, I do need to fill 6 days every week. Shoot me an e-mail. It's my username on this site at gmail dot com.

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but they only higher Brits and Egyptians
Is that higher? or lower? Laughing

BTW... I do know of people of other nationalities at BC, but not often. Personally I would prefer AMIDEAST anyway.

Mabruk on finishing the CELTA!! Love the one day a week job... Cool

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it alarming that the OP thinks his racial origin and skin colour are important.
nstick13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah... it was going on 2 in the AM. I certainly deserve it, though, for as much as I like to dish it out to people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find it alarming that the OP thinks his racial origin and skin colour are important

I had a similar alarm a few mos. back when a similar statement was made by another. Its quite the gawdy thing isn't it, to mention it at all? Don't think that's being PC either, as I'm quite against PCness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: