Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Egypt with my wife, looking for work, questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomintaipei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Moving to Egypt with my wife, looking for work, questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first time writing on the forum after reading quite a few posts. Let me preface by telling you a little about my credentials. I have a BA in both English and Political Science, and I spent the last couple of years teaching English in Taiwan. My wife is a certified teacher (I am not) and has a job at an international school in Al Rehab. We are moving out there pretty soon, and I will be looking for work or maybe attempting to do my Masters at the American Uni (are all the MA programs there 2 years??).

I guess I want to know what I might expect from schools in Cairo. Are they as shady as schools in Taiwan? I had to quit my job in Taiwan because the manager wouldn't pay my (or the rest of the staff's) salary for 3 months, claiming that the business wasn't making any money because of the economy. However, she somehow had enough money to begin work on a brand new school that we would be moving into, enough money to hire an massively expensive Feng Shui master to redesign the current school that we'd be moving out of and closing, and enough money to feed her voracious makeup addiction. Needless to say, I had a bad experience towards the end there, and I don't want to repeat that in Cairo.

Also, I was curious about salary. With my qualifications (or lack thereof), what kind of salary could I expect? I was making around $3000 USD a month in Taiwan (when I was paid), which was probably one of the best salaries in the country, and I don't expect to make that much at all in Cairo. I did just interview for a job in Giza (a long way from Al Rehab, but is it too far do you think?), and the principal of the school really liked me and basically wants me to start pretty soon after my wife and I move to Cairo. I would be teaching high school English and literature, so not just the run of the mill ESL teaching. Remember, I don't have any teaching or ESL qualifications...just job training and my two BAs. I did also work for Americorp tutoring inner-city students in the US for a summer, but I hardly think that will have any impact on a potential job in Cairo.

I have also heard that once I'm in Cairo, I should expect much lower salaries than if I had been recruited from outside the country. Any truth to this? Maybe I should apply for jobs over Christmas break when I'm in the UK Wink (I'm American, by the way, my wife is British).

So if this job falls through, or if I get the job and find that the commute is impossible (from one side of Cairo to the other and back every day), what other options are there? I don't have my heart set on teaching, so are there any other job options for expats in the area? I'd like to stay closer to Al Rehab regardless, and my wife tells me that places like Heliopolis and Maadi are pretty close and easy to get to. Any thoughts?

Finally...If I do end up going to get an MA instead of working, are there any programs you might know of that don't take two years? I'd love to get an MA in International Relations, but it's looking like the American Uni program takes two years. I also wouldn't mind getting qualified to be a real teacher...any chance of that happening in Cairo?

I know I'm asking quite a bit, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few points as I can't answer most of your questions.

Did you read the sticky on this branch? That describes the situation in the average international school. There are a few dodgy employers in the education business everywhere. As to pay, there have been a few threads lately discussing that topic, though they have mostly been about Alexandria. It won't be terrible close to $3000.

You do not even want to THINK about commuting from one side of Cairo to the other. This will become very clear once you have commuted anywhere in Cairo. Laughing Stick to searching in Heliopolis... maybe Maadi. Unless you want to spend a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening stuck in traffic inhaling exhaust fumes uninhibited by any such thing as a catalytic converter. Might be a scheduling nightmare.

The US has few one year MA programs. Our requirement for coursework makes it tough. I did my MA at AUC in two years, but that was under the Fellowship program so I was also teaching 7-10 hours per week. Although the normal course load is 9 hours, you can take up to 15 if you have the energy and the cash. Since 33 is required plus thesis or 36 with no thesis and comps, it appears that it *could* be done in one year plus a summer session if you do the comps rather than a thesis.

Why the rush? Are you only planning to be in Cairo for a year? Personally I would take the two years and work part-time so you end up with two pluses on your CV.

VS
tomintaipei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Why the rush? Are you only planning to be in Cairo for a year? Personally I would take the two years and work part-time so you end up with two pluses on your CV.

My wife's contract is for 2 years, so we'll be in Cairo for at least that long. My only concern is that I won't be able to get into a program at AUC this fall, which means I'd have an extra semester tacked onto the end of her two year contract if she decided not to extend her contract.

Does the AUC do regular degrees in education? I don't really want a Masters's is TEFL.

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paying student? I think you can get in this fall. Smile Money always talks... You may be provisional until you provide all the bits of paper that they want. If you were in the US, I'd tell you to call the New York office.

Here is a list of their graduate programs:

http://www.aucegypt.edu/ACADEMICS/GRADSTUDIES/MASTDIP/Pages/default.aspx

You might want to look into distance MAs if you want something specific. AUC doesn't do an education major. If you want to add a legitimate teaching credential, you might want to get in touch with your original college and ask about adding courses to get certification. Or look into what the UK would require to do the same?

VS
tomintaipei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
A paying student?

Well, I was hoping to get some loans or something. Another reason why I need the extra time to sort them out. Your fellowship sounds interesting....did you have to pay a tuition fee or anything? I've read in some places that it's free and they actually give you a stipend and an MA out of the deal. Any truth to that?

I've been trying to contact some people via email at the AUC to try and find out about program lengths, but to no avail. I'll have to phone them instead I suppose.

Back to schools though...do you know of any good schools in the Al Rehab, Heliopolis, Maadi areas that I might be able to get a job at?

Thanks again!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to get the Fellowship, you have to apply by Feb 1... they are chosen in April and then you start in August/Sept. Free tuition, the stipend is up to LE 2000 a month or so... and you get an MA in TEFL. It is quite competitive to get it. You can read all about it here:

http://www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/gradadmissions/finsupport/Pages/TEFL.aspx

I would imagine that things are very quiet at AUC right now with nearly everyone on summer leave. I am no help at all on schools... not having kids and only teaching university level.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: