Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help! We are being threatened by an old employer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Please Help! We are being threatened by an old employer Reply with quote

Well, the story goes like this...

I was employed by ACCIF (Australia China Cultural Interchange Foundation) and they failed to pay my salary. We complained, then they fired us on false charges that we were bad teachers. They never paid us our salary or gave us any severance fees or penalty fees for cancelling our contract.

I've since moved on and found a new teaching job that I really like. Now, however, ACCIF is threatening to sue us. They claim that if we do not pay them back the costs the school invested in us for foreign experts permit, res permit, insurance, health examination, z-visa, that they will sue us and have police come knocking on our door one day.

Now i'm a bit scared. I dunno if they are bluffing or if they are telling the truth. I am trying to sue THEM. However it is difficult because I am in Hubei and I am told that I must sue in Beijing where ACCIF is located. Teaching in Hubei gives me no time to travel to Beijing.

Plus, I cannot get any recommendations from the school about my teaching performance to clear the false charges that i'm a bad teacher. The school I worked at wants to give me a recommendation, howver they are under ACCIF's thumb and are afraid to anger ACCIF so they won't give me any recommendation in writing.

So my case against ACCIF is weak because it will be my word against theirs (the school refuses to be involved to take my side)

So I am at a lost on what to do! Does anyone have any ideas for help?!
Paul G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this thread. It may point you in the right direction.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=395
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are trying to follow rules which are the Western way of doing business in a country where rules and contracts matter very little.

you were screwed by to a cowboy outfit and they are trying to do it again.

Tell them to go to hell and sue, it will cost them time and money, which is one thing they will not do, since it will cost money.

Another way is to up and go and shake it all off

Police knocking on your door? then you can tell them that your ex school ran an illegal business by not paying you.
Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Well, first you made a mistake by still working for them. Huge mistake. that in itself is bizarre. I have had them threaten me but they did not know where I lived, so it all came to nothing. Do you have your green book? If so then no problem.
You could sue but why waste your time and aggravation. I would leave the school I am at now and go to Shanghai with your friend. That is why I only work in big cities.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Peter up to where he says "tell the police the school still owes you money' - the (Chinese) police would never be interested in that!

It seems to me yo0u are again in hot water simply because you can't possibly be employed legally now without a release letter from ACCIF. Thus, I would advise against playing with the fire!
Move on! Return at a later date, after your current work visa has expired and you have bought a tourist visa!

Insist that your new employer apply for a work visa for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: